What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

VOIP providers, educate me

clshades

I've been using ooma for a while and finally did the full shutdown of shaw phone and ooma full time. It's really worth it imo. Way better features for blocking bullcrap with ooma too.

TiffanyBrien11

I have a pbx system that will always comply to the register expire time sent by the voip provider. It doe snot allow me to override the expire setting. Is there any voip provider besides callcentric that has a low registration expire timeout. By low I mean anything less than 30 minutes.

On2wheels

Does Ooma charge you in CAD or USD?
Would a previously used second hand ooma still work on my number?

Last edited:

clshades

Does Ooma charge you in CAD or USD?
Would a previously used second hand ooma still work on my number?
can't remember... I think I pay 120 yearly for the full meal deal. I've maybe received 1 or 2 spam calls in the last 3 years.

And yes a used ooma would work. Mine is used... the person who owns it needs to setup a code for you to transfer it over etc. Make sure 100% it's yours before transferring a land line. Had a bit of fucking around until I got used to the setup etc. Once its setup its good to go. Take it anywhere you have internet and it works.

JD

Staff member
If buying used, you might want to make sure it's the newer model (matches the picture on their website). Usually there's sales every couple months though around the $80 mark.

Charges in CAD. Runs $5.41 a month now since the E911 fee went up a bit.

sswilson

Staff member

Is this what set off the most recent line of questions?

edit: Looks like Costco has the same price ($110) but it comes with 3 months free premium service which makes me wonder if they waive the number port fee.....

Last edited:

On2wheels

No I hadn't seen that offer but I dont need Premier. I checked with Ooma support and apparently you can use preowned hardware without issues. I'm just not happy with voip.ms and what they're charging, so the math in my head makes the Ooma deal sound better. We're using upwards of 30hrs of talk time per month, some of that is billable with voip.ms, so being the frugal one...
Unless someone knows for sure there could be issues with used hardware?

sswilson

Staff member
can't remember... I think I pay 120 yearly for the full meal deal. I've maybe received 1 or 2 spam calls in the last 3 years.

And yes a used ooma would work. Mine is used... the person who owns it needs to setup a code for you to transfer it over etc. Make sure 100% it's yours before transferring a land line. Had a bit of fucking around until I got used to the setup etc. Once its setup its good to go. Take it anywhere you have internet and it works.

Doesn't it also automatically forward to your cell phone if it can't connect to the unit in your home? I'd probably just unplug it if I were going away for a few days and count on getting any local calls forwarded to my cell#.

clshades

Doesn't it also automatically forward to your cell phone if it can't connect to the unit in your home? I'd probably just unplug it if I were going away for a few days and count on getting any local calls forwarded to my cell#.
It has some cell phone options yes. You can also have it connect to your cell in home too. Not sure if the older units need the Bluetooth dongle. I don't use the options.

Latest posts