What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

VPN Lan Gaming Issue

lcdguy

Folding Team
so i am pulling my hair out on how to get this working and was wondering if anyone can shed some light.

I am trying to do some lan gaming over a vpn tunnel in steam with my bro. I have tried both hamachi and openvpn. both has failed. Hamachi gives some messed up error complaining about lan games are only for class c (i am assuming class C network) with openvpn in bridging he couldn't even see the game. Could this be my ISP (stupid freaking rogers) or is it something else. At this point i am about ready to get an enterprise firewall and just use that.

supaflyx3

Hamachi works fine for me... ping times are terrible though.. im talking like 1200MS pings.
My suggestion would be to get a VPN close to both you and your bro, then at least ping times wont be to high.

Perineum

....how each of your networks are set up, what software / hardware / routers / internet connection you're using, etc.

Describe it all to us

Arinoth

Staff member
What windows are you bolth running, what firewalls are you bolth running, what routers are you bolth running. You could be getting blocks at any of these junctions

JD

Staff member
What game? It's easier for one of you to run a dedicated server, port forward the required ports, and then both connect to it. Put a password on it if you want to keep things to yourself.

Really no need for VPN unless you're using illegal copies of games (you mention Steam so I'm assuming not), or if the game has no way to host on the Internet.

There's also this VPN software: LAN Bridger - Click. Click. You're connected.

lcdguy

Folding Team
for some reason i tried the internet game thing but he couldn't find it. Either way i have since loaded dd-wrt with the vpn variant and setup a pptp vpn server on the router. which seems to work fine but was unable to verify as the computer then summarily crashed and is waiting to be fixed. (i am currently in no shape to fix a heavy desktop as i recently had some surgery done on my back)

Latest posts