What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

VPN recommendations

moocow

I'm using HideMyAss to connect to server in Hong Kong so my mom can watch live news from a local TV channel there. Problem with HideMyAss is that they aren't particularly fast even when I connect to Seattle from Vancouver to try watching Hulu. I seek recommendation from users that specifically connect from North America to Asia for video streaming.

WiseWilson

I use Private Internet Access. I can't tell you what the cap speed is do to me only having a 10mb connection. Using speed test to check my connection to the Hong Kong it gives me 280-300 ping and averaged 4mbs fluctuating between 3-5.

The weird thing

I use my VPN to connect to get an Hong Kong IP and my ping is 250-270ms and I am averaging 7 megs a second 6-8 fluctuating. (Speed Test connected to same Hong Kong address)

I did 3 runs each time

I have never had a problem with Hulu either. I mean its not like you can jump to far ahead with all the commercials anyway. They also have a server in Seattle to connect to so I imagine you would get decent speed through that.

JD

Staff member
There's non-VPN solutions for Hulu, Netflix, etc such as Tunlr for example.

lowfat

Staff member
All VPN's will have a drop in throughput and an increase of latency. I use Private Internet Access as well. I get a drop from 2.3MB/s to about 1.5MB/s as long as I pick a good server.

moocow

Well I expect a speed low down and I'm getting around 300 ping to Hong Kong while on HMA. In particular I'm hooking up to TVB channel's live news and it constantly sit there to load or just out right dies on me. Now that could be a shitty implementation on their side or it's HMA having a shitty server.

@Wilson, any experience using TVB live news?

WiseWilson

Nope but I gave it a try since you mentioned the name. I will have to give you an update tomorrow. I'm in the country using fixed wireless internet and peak use and the snow storms realy do effect my service. My Ping is triple normal and I only have 1.4 megs down right now. That said this site did load for me. It took 15 secs for the commercial to load and it took another break every 15 sec or so. That said it did load and I think it would work fine if my internet was normal. Is this the site you meant? ???? - ???? - ????? - tvb.com :blarg: (That's weird I just cut and pasted the link from the address bar)

A way you could test HMA connection is to speed test to Hong Kong and then run the test again with your VPN active. The fact I got better speeds through my VPN suggests to me PIA has a pretty good connection in HK. Better speeds then the top server in the speed test list for Hong Kong anyway.

Alpine

I am using Pure VPN since last august. I got it for 49.99$ for 12 months. For now, i love it.
I have a multiple security way when i am connecting (PPTP, L2TP and SSTP) and alot of servers to connect around the world

moocow

@Wilson: That's the one.

Well HMA is charging me $78 a year for the service. I should of done more research before committing since a lot of people try to get a refund via 30 day money back but simply being ignored.

WiseWilson

That is High PIA is $40 per year if bought all at once. Also I think I heard HMA kept logs on its customers or something. I would say PIA would do what you want it to. My connection is at 60% and I could watch the channel. Every few minutes it would pause and I would lose a second of video and it paused once and took like 7 seconds like it lost the stream. I would say if you had a 10-12 meg connection locally you would be good. (actual speed not what your isp says you get)

Kind of weird for me to watch Chinese TV if you don't know the language. A young woman was running down the street crouching tiger style. She got to the bus said something and then held up a key. I have no idea what it was advertising. Also they were showing pictures of their rover landing and they had part of the lander censored any idea why?

swtyce5s

SurfEasy VPN (CA based)

Well-known VPNs are blocked in china. Try some new ones for traveling.
https://www.surfeasy.com/
New, fast, free, not blocked in china and many ways to earn additional data bandwidth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts