What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

VR purchase?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Anybody want to talk me out of buying an Oculus Rift for $449 when the sale goes live tonight?

I've been keenly interested in VR since the release of the Rift and the Vive last year, but the pricing was out of reach for me at the time. I'm thinking the Rift because my computer is in a small loft, so seated works better for me rather than room-scale. And I love driving games so seated is fine. It's also supposed to be more comfortable than the Vive.

I can't see the value in buying one of the new Windows mixed-reality headsets yet as they just don't have the catalog that the Rift does. I like the no sensors required, but I can live with them in a seated use scenario.

supaflyx3

Have you tried VR before? I bought project cars when I had a vive and racing in VR was insanely disorientating and sickening for me. I'd suggest going to a Microsoft store to see if they have one setup before splurging if you only want it to racing games.

turtletrax

Banned
Have you tried VR before? I bought project cars when I had a vive and racing in VR was insanely disorientating and sickening for me. I'd suggest going to a Microsoft store to see if they have one setup before splurging if you only want it to racing games.

+1

Also, should mention that your first experience is usually the worst. I got what is known as VR flu the first time I used a vive. Not super sick, but just a bit off for a day or so, then nothing since.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team

While racing is my primary interest in VR, it will be used for other things too. I have other gamers in my house. And Elite Dangerous is supposed to be amazing in VR.

Thanks for the warning though. My local BB has them in stock, I'll see if they have a demo setup.

Edit: I'm also thinking that you should probably limit your use the first few times you try it?

Lysrin

I tried VR, a few different ones including Rift and the cell phone type at a convention last year.

I don't have an issue with sickness so I didn't find that was a problem. But I did ask a lot of questions about the drawbacks and a big one continues to be comfort and visual/mental strain for extended use.

Some of the integrators I spoke with said that on average, when using VR in simulation training environments, their users could handle about 45 min to 2 hrs of use before they needed a break, with varying after effects based on the individual. Now maybe we all should be taking breaks after 45 min to 2 hrs of gaming ;) but it is something to consider.

For me it was more the physical discomfort, especially as I wear glasses. It wasn't comfortable on and with my glasses off I couldn't get it clear enough. Plus they are hot, somewhat heavy, etc.

That price is certainly improving, and of course YMMV for the comfort and effects. Just passing on the info.

turtletrax

Banned
I tried VR, a few different ones including Rift and the cell phone type at a convention last year.

I don't have an issue with sickness so I didn't find that was a problem. But I did ask a lot of questions about the drawbacks and a big one continues to be comfort and visual/mental strain for extended use.

Some of the integrators I spoke with said that on average, when using VR in simulation training environments, their users could handle about 45 min to 2 hrs of use before they needed a break, with varying after effects based on the individual. Now maybe we all should be taking breaks after 45 min to 2 hrs of gaming ;) but it is something to consider.

For me it was more the physical discomfort, especially as I wear glasses. It wasn't comfortable on and with my glasses off I couldn't get it clear enough. Plus they are hot, somewhat heavy, etc.

That price is certainly improving, and of course YMMV for the comfort and effects. Just passing on the info.

With my vive I found that it takes quite a bit to get the fitment dialed in. You also have to measure your pupil width with the supplied ruler and then adjust the focal distance. Then it takes a while to learn where the straps have to be to get it so it doesn't sag. After that, I am quite happy with the setup. It just sucks when you are sharing the hmd in a party game setup... Lol

I am glad I grabbed a vive, but I think the real game changes at 4k per eye and up resolution. Glad I am supporting the ground floor so that it can grow.

Lysrin

With my vive I found that it takes quite a bit to get the fitment dialed in. You also have to measure your pupil width with the supplied ruler and then adjust the focal distance. Then it takes a while to learn where the straps have to be to get it so it doesn't sag. After that, I am quite happy with the setup. It just sucks when you are sharing the hmd in a party game setup... Lol

I am glad I grabbed a vive, but I think the real game changes at 4k per eye and up resolution. Glad I am supporting the ground floor so that it can grow.

There were a lot of comments about this, that one of the issues with eye and brain strain is still the resolution and the refresh rate. It's a challenge, 2x 4K at over 90 Hz... even with 1080 Tis.

But we'll get there someday and we'll have you early adopters to thank for it! :biggrin:

turtletrax

Banned
There were a lot of comments about this, that one of the issues with eye and brain strain is still the resolution and the refresh rate. It's a challenge, 2x 4K at over 90 Hz... even with 1080 Tis.

But we'll get there someday and we'll have you early adopters to thank for it! :biggrin:

I think the strain may lessen with higher resolution and better overall immersion. The games don't look particularly real, so your brain has more of an issue with it.

I am still baffled they haven't implemented SLI or MGA for VR yet. There are a few titles that support it, most notably Nvidia VR Fun house. It seems like it makes possibly the most sense it has ever made for VR. Gpu per eye should be fairly easy to implement.

Latest posts

Twitter