What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

W10 Digital entitlement?

JD

Staff member
I'll try that cmd later today... the original drive is back in it (activated with a W7 key) though, does that command pull info from the motherboard no matter how it was activated, or will I need to put the "offline" activated drive back in?
Should pull it from the firmware, but the command only works on Windows 10. For Win7/8, you'd have to use 3rd party apps I believe.

sswilson

Staff member
It has windows 10 installed. The comment about W7 was that the original embedded key is probably for W7 (the tower does have a sticker that says something to the effect of "embedded OS".

JD

Staff member
Interesting, guess it's only Windows 10 (maybe Windows 8 too) keys. Windows 7 keys were more certificate based.

On2wheels

I did a motherboard and cpu upgrade last night, but did not do any sort of product key uninstallation beforehand. I skipped key entering, and did not sign in with my Windows/MS account when prompted. When I tried the Activation Troubleshooter it gave some generic error message, but it had not done any checks for OS updates yet. Is the troubleshooter broken or does it rely on some specific update to work? It was a newly prepared usb I installed from and Windows is version 1903.

I still have the old system with the activated Windows install, and could likely boot it up if the on board video works. Would that help any to get my product key? Or does my Windows account guarantee my activation just because I used that account in the MS Store on the old system? Not really sure what my next steps should be.

If I used something like https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkeyplus.html and got the key from the old system, I guess there's no garauntee it will work depending on the type of key it was?

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Generally the key is the same for everyone, so I don't think that tool would do anything for you. Try logging in with your MS account to see if it activates.

As for the troubleshooter not working, was the clock/date correct?

Vittra

You can be signed into the MS Store without being signed fully into a MS account on your system. You can actually log onto the web with that MS account and verify that way if your device was activated/licensed through the MS account - http://account.microsoft.com/devices

If it's there, you could try signing into your account on the new hardware, restarting your computer, and then trying the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter should then kick off the process of authenticating the new device with the existing license. If that doesn't work, you are stuck in a similar (but not exactly same) situation I described back on post #5 in this thread. There's a few options you could try.

1) Wait a few days to see if it takes time to sync things on your system before the troubleshooter works.

If this doesn't work, pull the product key from your old system.

You can try JD's previously documented command, but this is typically meant for pulling an OEM key from an OEM device:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

What you actually want is something like the Techspot article which has a vbs script. There's plenty of other ways to do it but this is the simplest one that requires no software or going into the registry.

Once you have the key you can do either 2) or 3):

2) Contact MS support - they will likely ask for proof of purchase (photo) of your new hardware but will issue you a new, real key. This is what they did for me the first time I ran into issues. If you are on remote support be careful if they ask to reboot your machine, you're going to lose them.

3) Phone activation. This may not work with a direct Win7-->Win10 upgrade key, but is worth trying.

a) cscript slmgr.vbs /upk&cscript slmgr.vbs /cpky --> This removes any existing key from the system. You mentioned you don't have one. Do it anyway.
b) changepk.exe /ProductKey XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX --> This will import your old key into the current system.
c) Reboot your system
d) slui 4 --> This will open the windows telephone activation prompt.

On2wheels

I logged in to the MS account link and it does show my PC there (it's the generic name it assigned years ago at least! should be mine!) So that might actually work. It offers to 'remove that PC', I wonder if I should or try logging in on my new system first. There's also a support article that talks about removing a device so " so it doesn't affect your Microsoft Store device limit: " That sounds perfect.

I found this article too which might solve it
and waiting a day or so is an idea, but perhaps I'll force check updates tonight and see what comes up.

Last edited:

Vittra

Don't remove it from your MS account. Log into the MS account on the new system, and then try the remote troubleshooter. If that doesn't work, wait a few days like mentioned in Step1.

If you remove it from your MS account you are SOL for that method moving forward.

Latest posts

Twitter