What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

W10 OEM key errors, MS account activates

Mac29

Used an OEM key for a new build but my mobo is used. Errored, so I tried a few solutions found online. Logged into my MS account to try the key again but the cursor 'hung' with the wheel. Finally got disgusted and moved the mouse. Then Activation window said W10 activated "with a digital license linked to your MS account" & a link to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activate where it says "a digital license is associated with your hardware" and "there's nothing you need to find on your pc" ... "You're all set once your pc is connected to the internet and you log in to your MS account".

Additionally: "Note MS only keeps a record of your product keys if you purchased from the MS online store." Finally below that are links including 'Reactivate W10 after a hardware change'.

Q1: Should I want my key activated to this hardware, instead?
Q2: Was using my MS account/Outlook & a PIN on my other W10 machine but would prefer not to on this new box. (The old one will be broken up for parts to sell BTW.) The PINs differ. Can I change to not use MS account/PIN?
Q3: That error seems to hit many people. Doesn't seem to be b/c of my used mobo. Should I try that 'Reactivate W10 after a hardware change'?

Really unsure of what to do, if anything.

Thanks,

Mac

On2wheels

Did you get this sorted? I'm not seeing any replies, but I've been away a while. Has the forum changed?

I'm facing some odd bsod errors and if my C: nvme is dead I could be needing the same fix. I have not added this installation to my MS account, so my worry is the oem key I bought will be scrapped if this nvme drive fails. Is there a way to salvage it or will windows activate fine because the mobo/cpu will not change if I do have to reinstall?

JD

Staff member
If in doubt, just call the number and explain to them what happened, generally they'll give you a code to activate.

It should activate fine though as long as you haven't changed the motherboard, as far as I know MS records the SMBIOS GUID as it's the most unique (and hard to change) identifier.

Mac29

Gave up after no replies but I later found the 'MS activated w/a digital license' and 'a digital license is associated w/your hardware' must have used that key b/c Showkey plus finds the new key, not my old key on other box. So I used my MS/Outlook account and a (new) PIN again. It's fast.

No problems w/the used mobo but I've triple backed up the OS drive (now SSD) for safekeeping. I have read of a lot of issues for nvme users but have no experience. Glad to hear JD's input. Hope I never have to find out. Good luck w/the drive & errors though.

Latest posts

Twitter