What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

W10 secure boot required after update?

sswilson

Staff member
My Dell 2-in-1 wouldn't recover after an update, went into a "Automatic Repair" loop, and wouldn't boot off of USB.

I figured it was finally pooched, but took a final shot at changing the boot method from "EUFI without secure boot" to "EUFI with secure boot" and what do you know... it's now back to booting normally.

Not sure when I switched back to EUFI at all... I had initially set it to legacy boot when I first installed an SSD into it.

Anybody else ever see this?

Vittra

When you say "after an update", do you mean a windows update, or a UEFI/BIOS update?

If its the latter, I'm not surprised, since it could have reset the settings to the default settings. If the default settings were Legacy mode, they may not be in the newer update.

Also, if you install some sort of hard drive encryption software, if your device has TPM 2.0 and it uses that then Secure Boot is required for functionality - that could perhaps have triggered it.

sswilson

Staff member
Not sure I've see it but just to clarify do you mean UEFI and not EUFI?
Yes.

When you say "after an update", do you mean a windows update, or a UEFI/BIOS update?

If its the latter, I'm not surprised, since it could have reset the settings to the default settings. If the default settings were Legacy mode, they may not be in the newer update.

Also, if you install some sort of hard drive encryption software, if your device has TPM 2.0 and it uses that then Secure Boot is required for functionality - that could perhaps have triggered it.
Yeah, I hadn't changed anything to the best of my knowledge and I sure as heck don't remember doing a bios update (I avoid those like the plague on laptops unless I need them for something). The only thing I know for sure was that the system went into "installing updates" when I shut down/restarted originally.

I considered the possibility that the cmos battery was low thus allowing the settings to revert to default, but didn't see any of the normal indications (like date/time out of sync).

It's all good... appears to be working fine now, just seemed weird to me and I hadn't seen it before