What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

WACOM are too much...do any of you use a cheap or inexpensive graphics tablet?

sswilson

Staff member
Yes, that's essentially how they work (AFAIK) I just wasn't sure if you were looking for an active screen or a "passive" pad.

I personally have a hard time "drawing" with a remote input pad, but digital artists have been doing it for years, I guess it's mostly a matter of practice. (Or... more likely I'm just too uncoordinated to be able to pull it off.... :) ).

LaughingCrow

isn't that how all the non-display pads work? you need to have a computer or phone / tablet to connect it to and monitor your work on the screen said device has?

heck, I think even the display pads need a device as well...while you can see what you're dong on the pads screen, you need something to record / save the work.
Yes. You draw on the pad while watching your monitor using any kind of photo type software. Essentially, it's an interface, a pen instead of a mouse on a 'special' mouse pad. Just that a mouse doesn't have the kind of control the stylus offers through software. It will vary with the software and the tablet. You are not directly interfacing with the screen image. Can't imagine what a Wacom direct draw screen costs.

However, given the rise of AI art now it's hard to tell distinguish between a human artist and an AI generated pic. Recently an artist printed out an AI generated picture on canvas and submitted it: "A synthetic media artist named Jason Allen entered AI-generated artwork into the Colorado State Fair fine arts competition and announced last week that he won first place in the Digital Arts/Digitally Manipulated Photography category.

Marshall McLuhan said: "Art is anything you can get away with."

What's art?

LaughingCrow

Here's John Oliver, Last Week Tonight, showing off some AI generated artwork on YouTube to give you an idea of the software capabilities that are out there now. Basically you just tell the program what you want and it does it. Haven't tried any myself so I don't know how they work.

John Oliver - AI Images

Latest posts