What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wait or Ivy Bridge? Or Bite the Sandy Bridge?

geokilla

So as you guys may remember from http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/49169-replace-my-am2-setup-around-500-a.html, I was planning to do an upgrade last year. Yes I didn't do it yet, but I'm going to do it soon. I'm just wondering whether I should continue to wait for Ivy Bridge, or just build a Sandy Bridge PC. I have no need for whatever extra power Ivy Bridge may bring, but if it's more efficient then maybe it's worth the wait. I don't really tax my Phenom II that much anyways.

I know that Ivy Bridge has been delayed, probably for business purposes. Wiki said the launch of dual core Ivy Bridge would be June 2012.

The tempting thing about Sandy Bridge is that Memory Express has been having lots of Core i5-2500K bundle deals, albeit with Gigabyte motherboards and not with the ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 that I want.

ginman522

the wait is driving me nuts too, I'm actually considering a AMD FX-6200 on a gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3, and then upgrade to ivy in May, if my performance/power consumption isn't what I'm looking for. I wouldnt be happy with the AMD build, but nor happy with sandy bridge. I'm also considering 3820 on an ASRock Extreme4, but cost is $200 more than AMD. The last option is buy an ASRock Z77 board in early April w/ an inexpensive sandy bridge(like the i3-2130), then just upgraqde my proc in May to the i5-3750k or i7-3770k. here is my build...any advice?

Last edited:

ginman522

Wait, even if its not that fast it will atleast drive prices down alot

very true, I expect prices to drop on Z68, and regular sandy bridge.....possibly on some X79 mobo's too. I wish AMD was in the game... to help the prices if nothing else.

Masteroderus

Only thing I still like about amd more than intel is the 990FX chipset (the gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 is not a 990fx chipset, it's a 990x). Trifire and 6 sata 6 for 200 bucks. Ooooo yeahhhhh.

Now if only amd would make a decent am3+ processor, as I too will probably have to buy a really bad bulldozer processor.

Amd would have been better off to continue the production of am3 processors and can the bulldozers untill they can perform. My kingdom for a brand new 1090T sold @ my local memory express!

[nK]Sharp

I'm waiting since its close enough. Probably going to start selling off my parts soon before they drop in price anymore.

geokilla

Well it got confirmed Ivy Bridge is coming out in a month. Unless Sandy Bridge drops to Micro Centre-like pricing, I'll wait it out. I just hope the wait will be worth it.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
The quad-cores are supposed to launch in April. Mobile and dual-cores won't hit the streets until June, supposedly.

Latest posts