What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Want a 3090? Prepare to sell those kidneys.

sswilson

Staff member
I wonder if the 3090 is some cruel joke on content creators who need something with this kind of power, but due to EULA and driver restrictions, can't use it and are forced to buy a much higher priced Quadro with worse performance. :p

Hrmmmm..... are the gforce drivers on the 3090 still locked out of "workstation" mode?

rjbarker

As Dwayne pointed out....look at the cost of an RTX 2080 Titan....$3.5K last time I looked.....so this one is a steal :)

the Evga FTW3 vs FTW3 Ultra = $400 for + 100 Mhz Boost Clock.....wonder how they will OC ? If I was considering purchasing I dont think Id go for that Ultra Card.....of course I want to see what EK WB availability will be.......

Last edited:

Dwayne

As Dwayne pointed out....look at the cost of an RTX 2080 Titan....$3.5K last time I looked.....so this one is a steal :)

the Evga FTW3 vs FTW3 Ultra = $400 for + 100 Mhz Boost Clock.....wonder how they will OC ? If I was considering purchasing I dont think Id go for that Ultra Card.....of course I want to see what EK WB availability will be.......

All indications are they are not going to overclock very well unless you mod them. They are heavily power limited it seems. Still, run them cool and they boost the hell out of themselves. Here is Jay doing his cardboard box thing :)

lowfat

Staff member
Yeah not sure what you're getting for that price difference? A bigger heatsink? RGB lights? I don't think they perform any better?

NVIDIA FE edition for $1999CAD seems the better value, and probably better heatsink design too. At the very least, it looks better.
I think all the AIBs cards use the same PCB and cooler for both the 3080 and 3090. FE for both the 3080 and 3090 are way better deals in Canada, if it is ever actually possible to get one. Even w/ the $60 shipping from Nvidia, it is still cheaper than any AIB card. Plus the 3090 FE has that sexy monster cooler.

😘

Hrmmmm..... are the gforce drivers on the 3090 still locked out of "workstation" mode?

Like SR-IOV? It don't work on the 3090.

sswilson

Staff member
I think all the AIBs cards use the same PCB and cooler for both the 3080 and 3090. FE for both the 3080 and 3090 are way better deals in Canada, if it is ever actually possible to get one. Even w/ the $60 shipping from Nvidia, it is still cheaper than any AIB card. Plus the 3090 FE has that sexy monster cooler.

😘

Like SR-IOV? It don't work on the 3090.

Did it work on the titan?

If this doesn't work full hog as a "creator's" card then I think I'm on board with HWC's latest vid in which they say it's not really something gamers should look at dropping the coin on, and then wondering what it's real purpose in life is.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Did it work on the titan?

If this doesn't work full hog as a "creator's" card then I think I'm on board with HWC's latest vid in which they say it's not really something gamers should look at dropping the coin on, and then wondering what it's really purpose in life is.
Pretty sure SR-IOV works on Titans. I mentioned in the other 3090 thread that there are also some compute tasks where the RTX Titan that absolutely rock the 3090. And Nvidia doesn't plan on adding these optimizations to the 3090. Card almost seems like it doesn't have a place IMO.

JD

Staff member
NVIDIA had posted on Twitter saying the 3090 would support SR-IOV but then quickly backed out. Seems more and more likely that an actual Titan model will come out, the 3090 is just for those few gamers that used to buy Titans (to only play games).

rjbarker

Agreed JD.....some Benchmarks 3080 vs 3090 @ 3440*1440p is what Id like to see......but yeah, perhaps this is the new Ti version.....who knows, I've given up on being able to figure out how nv Markets there SKU's......Super Duper Uber Models ;) ....rememeber the days of SC SSC and FTW !

One of the main reasons I stayed away from 2080Ti was the (close to $2K) price tag .......have to keep pinching myself when I find myself looking at these 3090's on Memex......

Izerous

Folding Team
Agreed JD.....some Benchmarks 3080 vs 3090 @ 3440*1440p is what Id like to see......

Overclocked 3090 beats FE 3080 by about 10% at 1440p

The only place a 3090 might be able to actually make a stand is above 4k. 8k maybe there is a justifiable difference 4k and below there just isn't for gaming purposes.

Entz

RE: drivers, SRV-Oo etc, Possible Nvidia has also decided that the “cheap“ titans encroached too much on their sweet quadro markup and are basically killing the Titans all together, it was always this weird hybrid between gaming and workstation. Entirely software based segmentation.

3090 just becomes the halo, for no other reason than because they can. The “performance” package 3080..

You want the full unlocked driver set, that will be 6k please.