What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

want to get an ssd

bcguy65

Hi everyone.I currently have an asus P5Q Pro turbo mother board in my computer.wanted to get an ssd as my current hard drive is failing.To hook up the SSD do I need to chage any of the cables or can I use the same ones that I use to hook up the mechanical hard drive

THXS

Shadowmeph

thats an old board old 775 cpu I am not sure how much benefit in buying an ssd , SSD uses sata ports which Iam sure your board has and as long as your PSU has the sata output type cable and not the old style 4 pin type you should be ok

justmehereajax

reuse the sata cable. You may need a sata 7pin power. Get an adapter (Molex to Sata Power)

I think the SATA ports are sata 2 (300 speed) ICH10R. You wil notice descent performance gains.

Bond007

Sata power and data connections required. As long as you have those or adapters you will be fine. An old board like that will limit ssd speed compared to reviews etc, but it will still be an obvious improvement over mechanical.

sswilson

Staff member
It would also be a good idea to chose a brand which comes with management software.... I think that board's chipset has trim functionality, but I'm not completely sure.

djbrad

Trim will be fine. My wife's office computer is on P5W DH Deluxe, ICH7R, ssd, trim works.

Latest posts