What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress Warmachine 5.0

Skippman

It occurred to me that I hadn't posted my latest rig after asking for parts recommendations. So I figured I post one.

Core Components
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X CPU
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 32GB (16GB x 2) RAM
eVGA GTX 1080 FTW GPU
Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB Boot Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 2.5" 1TB SSD Storage Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card
eVGA SuperNova G2 1000w PSU
Corsair Obsidian 700D Case
eVGA Power Link GPU Adapter
ASUS BW-16D1HT BluRay Burner w/ Libre Mode Firmware

Water Cooling
EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - AMD Nickel + Plexi Waterblock
EK-CoolStream SE 360 Radiator
Swiftech Laing D5 Pump
Monsoon Dual Bay Reservoir
Bitspower G1/4" Temperature Sensor
BitsPower 16mm PETG Hard Line Tubing
BitsPower Hard Line Fittings

Fan System
Corsair iCue Commander Pro Fan Contoller
2x LL140 RGB 140mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fans
3x ML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans on the radiator.

Misc External Hardware
Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P/144hz IPS G-Sync Monitor
Logitech G-513 Carbon Keyboard
Logitech G-602 Mouse
Steel Series Arctis Wireless Pro Headphones

This is my first time working with hard line PETG tubing and there was a pretty big learning curve. When I build my next chassis I'm definately going to spring for some 90 deg fittings just to make everything easier on myself as some of the tubes had 3 or more 90 deg bends in them. I'll post pics later tonight.

Skippman

Ok, so I've decided it's time. It's time to ditch the Corsair 700D. It's served me well for a decade but it's getting long in the tooth. I only really have 1 option for an intake fan, two if I reverse the rear case fan. I'm also getting tired of the dual bay res. It's time for a change.

Here's what I'm leaning towards for right now:

New Chassis Configuration
Lian Li 011 Dyanmic XL in Black
EK-Classic DP Side PC-O11D G1 D-RGB + DDC 3.2 PWM Pump and Distribution Plate
2 x EKWB EK-CoolStream SE 360 Radiators
6 x Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation Fans
1 x Corsair LL120 Dual Light Loop RGB Fan

My plan is to do a convection build with one radiator on the bottom with top mounted fans blowing up, and the other radiator on top with bottom mounted fans blowing up. The right vertical radiator mount will be used for the distro plate. I'll retain my EK Quantum Velocity water block for the CPU. Eventually I can plumb in the GPU when I get my hands on a good 3080 card.

For drainage I'm planning to come out of the rear of the distro block with an extention into a Bitspower T junction. The top of the T will have a G1/4 thermal probe and the bottom will have a ball valve which I plan to plumb through the bottom of the chassis into a drain. When it's time to drain, I unscrew the bottom plug, unscrew the top plug on the distro block, and turn the ball valve and let gravity take it's course. I'm hoping this will help me avoid the inevitable clearance issues with the DDC pump EK uses on the block.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
How was your experience with iCue RBG control software btw ?
I've always liked their system and wanted to try it out, but I just find its far too expensive to dive into (can't afford $150 for 3x fans and another $100+ for a commander pro). I've always wanted "active" RGB that reacts to temperatures and loads for my systems, and iCue is, afaik, the only one that can do it *on a per-led basis*. 🤷‍♂️

Looking forward to the new build 👍

sswilson

Staff member
Where do you plan to put the single LL fan? (I'm running 4X MLs on my two 240 rads, 3 HDs up top, and 3 LLs in the front).

Skippman

How was your experience with iCue RBG control software btw ?
I've always liked their system and wanted to try it out, but I just find its far too expensive to dive into (can't afford $150 for 3x fans and another $100+ for a commander pro). I've always wanted "active" RGB that reacts to temperatures and loads for my systems, and iCue is, afaik, the only one that can do it *on a per-led basis*. 🤷‍♂️

Looking forward to the new build 👍

I originally used the NZXT Grid back when it was the only software controllable fan controller (other than some obscure stuff from Koolance) and it worked OK. The iCue system is a big step up from that. It's got a learning curve to it as it deals with colors in "layers." Meaning if I wanted one of the LL fans to have a red ring and white blades I'd have to make two color "layers", one for the ring and another for the fan blades. Once you figure that part out it's pretty rock solid. There's a company on eBay that makes adapters to allow you to control other 3rd party fans and light strips from the Commander.

I will say it's somewhat of a wiring nightmare as you have a seperate wire for the fans PWM power and the RGB control, but that's because the lighting is powered independently and as such doesn't dim when the fans are slowed down like the older style LED fans from companies like Yate Loon. If you're using an ASUS board things get even better as there's now a partnership between Corsair and ASUS to allow ASUS mobo's and GPU's to be controlled by the iQue software. Since I'm using an Aorus board that's not really an option for me.

One of the things I really like is the ability to set the fan profiles to run based on a temperature probes temps. I have a Bitspower G1/4 temperature probe in my loop. I can, if I choose to, have it control the speed of the radiator fans based on the temp of that probe which means I can control the loop temperature independent of the CPU temperature which I suppose could be benifitial if I was running a dual loop.

Where do you plan to put the single LL fan? (I'm running 4X MLs on my two 240 rads, 3 HDs up top, and 3 LLs in the front).

I plan to put the 6 ML fans on the radiators, 3 on each. I figure the higher static pressure coupled with the thin radiators should be more than sufficient for my needs. I'm going to stick the single LL fan on the rear of the case as an exhaust since the larger XL case allows for it. It's probably overkill but I already have the fan.

sswilson

Staff member
I plan to put the 6 ML fans on the radiators, 3 on each. I figure the higher static pressure coupled with the thin radiators should be more than sufficient for my needs. I'm going to stick the single LL fan on the rear of the case as an exhaust since the larger XL case allows for it. It's probably overkill but I already have the fan.

I see. I didn't realise that they'd changed that on the expanded case. Mine would only fit a couple of 92mm fans if I wanted.

Skippman

I see. I didn't realise that they'd changed that on the expanded case. Mine would only fit a couple of 92mm fans if I wanted.

Yeah, I'd probably avoid those myself as anything close to the 80mm area can get whiny. My only complaint about the XL is that you can't get it without the ROG logo etched into the glass. Since I'm not running any ASUS gear in the box it seems kinda odd to have it there. I might cover it with a sticker or some such.

I'm curious if the DDC pump will be audibly louder than my D5 that I'm using now.

Skippman

Ordered an external enclosure for my BluRay drive. I'll be moving my ASUS BW-16D1HT into a NexStar DX USB 3.0 external drive cage. I know most people have abandoned optical media drives at this point. I use mine routinely for ripping new BluRays using MakeMKV so I can put them on my NAS. I use the NAS to play back the movies at any TV in the house as every TV has a nVidia Shield TV box attached. This prevents me from having to haul physical media around the house while still having the security against licensing right that owning physical media gives.

sswilson

Staff member
Ordered an external enclosure for my BluRay drive. I'll be moving my ASUS BW-16D1HT into a NexStar DX USB 3.0 external drive cage. I know most people have abandoned optical media drives at this point. I use mine routinely for ripping new BluRays using MakeMKV so I can put them on my NAS. I use the NAS to play back the movies at any TV in the house as every TV has a nVidia Shield TV box attached. This prevents me from having to haul physical media around the house while still having the security against licensing right that owning physical media gives.

That's the same unit I have. Pretty sure it's survived 5+ years (knock on wood) and still going strong.

I don't use it often these days (I don't rip blueray so I've only got a DVD unit in it) but I did rip my entire CD collection over the space of a week+ so it's seen a fair bit of use over the years.

Latest posts

Twitter