What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Water sensor

gingerbee

Pretty simple looking for a couple of water sensors would like to have some type of notification system beyond just screaming/flashing at me but not sure what is good and easy to use ones in fact I have no clue about them at all. just asking if anyone uses them in their basement or even under sinks/water tanks.

Oh am I the only one wondering why we don't have an ioT section or am I just stupid and can't find them 🥴

JD

Staff member
I've bought into the SmartThings ecosystem, so I have the hub and 2 of their water sensors. Seems to work fine, no annoying alarms just notification on my phone if it detects water. Other WiFi/standalone units usually have an ear-piecing alarm (I have an older WiFi D-Link one that does this).

Though I guess the sensor itself gets a little warm, compared to the cold concrete floor in the basement, so sometimes condensation builds and triggers it. Only had this happen 1 time in the past year though.

Izerous

Folding Team
I'm curious about your results on this one. I'd like to eventually rig up a couple including at the rental property to detect issues before they are a serious issue. But some of them seem a bit ridiculously priced, or subscription fees etc.

clshades

Sinope has the best most reasonably priced leak system imo. Sinope has the best valve setup. Easier to install and configure, software is cloud based (if you want).

Moen has the worst valve setup. I've also installed the Moen, but it has this stupid AI system that will turn the water off if you have a long shower. The software sucks for Moen too.

Watercop is the creme dela creme of leak and flood protection that also supports third party alarm systems.

Sinope looks like this.
Screenshot_20211020-113015_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

gingerbee

thanks, guys this helps I do want it to have the screaming flashing part also. I don't need one that can shut the water off, the main purpose of this is for my sub-pump system and water tank.

If I am happy with it I will add in sensors for both under sinks Kitchen/bathroom and one under my tub since I have access to that area through a hatch.

Ya, the Sinope is way more than I need, price-wise no way I can pull that now plus I am not worried about flooding from a broken pipe or anything like that since I am home 99.9% of the time unless I am in the hospital which lucky for me hasn't been more than a week this year.

but damn its great bang for the buck for sure and if money wasn't a concern I would jump at it, oh also I need a device that has the sensor on the end of a line so it can be lowered into the sub-pump hole because mine is sealed with only a small hole to get into that area

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Pretty sure my local costco has a pack of some basic "smart" sensors for this. (Probably D-Link if I remember correctly)

gingerbee

ya I've seen the d-link ones just wondering what others have used and if there is something better out there, not a huge d-link "fan" I have had several of there products die early deaths on me but there's seems pretty simple.

Latest posts

Twitter