What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

watercooled TJ07 build log (dual rads)

Babrbarossa

Log is in progress...

Well, I've finally finished my latest build- too bad that it took so long that the hardware is almost outdated :doh:. I ran into several problems with lost parcels thanks to UPS primarily, and more recently was stumped by a dead video card which took me quite a while to pinpoint as it was the last thing I checked while troubleshooting. I dreaded having to tear the cooling loop apart again to swap it out.

In this rig I have two radiators- one mcr220 in the top inside, and a HWL BIXT 360mm in the bottom in the standard TJ07 side facing position. The mcr 220 was too thick to mount squarely in the exisitng mesh in the top, so I had to mod the mesh insert quite a bit to position the rad as far as I could toward the front and window without ventilation being blocked by the top of the case. As it is, it still comes very close to the motehrboard components.

25497480bb8c253.jpg

view of the case with the door.

25497480bb7eeb9.jpg

front view- nice high quality powder coating.

25497480babfd21.jpg

The box is easily twice the size of the case- lots of padding - great for shipping.

254974811a7f103.jpg

Comparison with the stacker 830- I was quite surprised to see that the TJ07 is larger than the stacker. it might not look like it in the picture, but take the wheels off and it's an inch shorter.

254974811a96c78.jpg

The gear- it turns out that it was a good thing I had three GTX 260s around. One was DOA.

254974811a7825a.jpg

bottom HDD fans- these are screwed on and easily removed for bottom rad mounting.

254974811a9b5d1.jpg

HDD cases to be removed for bottom rad mount.

254974827ee548d.jpg

I reinstalled one of the hdd cases sideways in top compartment- looks very neat but only holds three.

254974811a54af6.jpg

Future location of top radiator- this was a challenge.

25497481722018a.jpg

This is step one of the mod I did to the top mesh that held the two top fans. I was dissappointed to find that half of the screws that held this mesh to the top of the case were stripped. The literally fell out when I touched them with the crewdriver- I needed some liquid metal to retap them.

25497481721de9c.jpg

bend step two

254974817226c23.jpg

redrill for rad

254974817215114.jpg

reinstalled top mesh- ready for rad mount.

2549748172248c5.jpg

cheater solution! The back of the radiator is screwed to the mesh and pretty secure, but the front was a challenge since I didn't want to drill holes in my case and I'm not much of a fabricator so I didn't want to build a rail. The single starnd wire was effective and nearly invisible.

25497481722937e.jpg

final product- see the only visible part of teh wire attached to the mesh. The good thing about this mod is that it's reversable if I ever wanted to go back to stock setup (as if)

254974827ee0204.jpg

the GPUs- I finally figured out that one of these was dead- after having to completely tear apart my rig after building it the first time.

25497481cb4f620.jpg

minor mods for cable mgmnt- I also drilled and edged holes behind the 24 pin, the Sata ports and the CPU power to route cables through the motherboard tray.

2549748172322b3.jpg

sacrifical printer cable for edging drilled holes. I used the sleeving.

25497486dc332ee.jpg

filling- I use deionized water, a little iodine, a little water wetter, and some DD uvblue clear dye. I got a brass fillport for the top- maybe should have been black, but I like it. Pretty stressful drilling holes in this case!

25497486dc249ed.jpg

almost there

254974832a3c8ca.jpg

side top with lights on. There is quite a bend in the tube leading out of the bottom GPU- I forsaw this about two months ago while ordering and ordered two elbow fittings- when the order came, they were not in it and I was refunded because they were no longer in stock. I re-ordered some about three weeks ago, but for the third time this year UPS lost the parcel. I blame it on sameday who does their shipping in this area- they don't bother scanning the items when they arrive and they languish in their warehouse.
2549749715376ba.jpg
25497497154c17d.jpg

254974832a41b63.jpg

25497486dc98309.jpg

25497486dc3f767.jpg

2549748ad6bfe4f.jpg

I haven't spent any time yet tweaking the GPUs but the CPU is running 24/7 at 4.0 GHz.

Last edited:

Chilly

Looks really nice. Good job on the build! :thumb:

What parts are out of date though? It's an i7 with SLi'ed GTX 260's. :haha:

Babrbarossa

yeah- I was exaggerating, but there is a new version of the motherboard capable of tri-SLI, and if I knew that my build would be in mid-january, I probably would have used the new NVidia cards. I'm still very happy to have it up and running. I probably would have had to wait another month or so to get my hands on a decent waterblock for the new nvidia cards anyway.

matsta31

Turns out I am doing an TJ07 build almost at the same time.

Quick questions :

your fan connectors for the rad on the bottom of the case, are they 3 pin or molex ? If 3 pins, what did you use to connect them ? I am currently using a rheobus I dumped in there...

I find the 92 MM fans noisy, but If I dont turn them on, I dont have enough cooling for the North bridge and mofsets even with an antec spot colling pointed towards them..... Are you undervolting the 92 MM or you are running them full speed ?

Where are your hard drive ? I dont have a clean cut solution to put them in the 5.25 bay, what are you using ?

Edit : forgot a question, the top fan are they pulling or pushing ?

Finally, what is the diploma on the back ?

Last edited:

Babrbarossa

Turns out I am doing an TJ07 build almost at the same time.

Quick questions :

your fan connectors for the rad on the bottom of the case, are they 3 pin or molex ? If 3 pins, what did you use to connect them ? I am currently using a rheobus I dumped in there...

I find the 92 MM fans noisy, but If I dont turn them on, I dont have enough cooling for the North bridge and mofsets even with an antec spot colling pointed towards them..... Are you undervolting the 92 MM or you are running them full speed ?

Where are your hard drive ? I dont have a clean cut solution to put them in the 5.25 bay, what are you using ?

OH yeah- diploma is a B.Sc.F (forestry)

oh yeah- diploma is a BScF (forestry)

Finally, what is the diploma on the back ?

I'm using molex connectors- I don't have control over those fans right now which I don't like- I think I'll get individual dials for those fans and mount them on the back of the case beside the PSU. They're big ol' 38mm panaflos and easily drown out any sound that the 90mm fans might make, although I only realized just how loud those little guys are after reading your post. I might switch them out for something quieter. You might consider mounting a 40mm fan on the NB instead of using them if you can find one that's not too loud- which motherboard are you using?

For the hard drives- you can see in my pics that I used one of the bottom hd cages turned on it's end and screwed into the front of the upper compartment below my dvd and fan controller. It's very tidy looking- the cable route up through the bottom, but you can only mount 3 HDs in there without modding.

Where did you pick up your TJ07? I got mine cheap, but it took forever to get it.

matsta31

got it from DC, Free shipping ! Ordered on a friday, was at my home the next thursday !

I have the Asus P6t just like yours, I think I could go for the NB fan. That would work.

Also, the back of my GPU does get hot. You should look for that.

For the hard drive, is this the bottom of the caddy I see sticking out ? So you had to make holes in the side of the bays to fit them in ? What did you use for making thoses holes ?

miggs78

Very nice, clean, simple build Babr.. I guess you told us to watch out for new stuff, and we see it.. :)

But you gotta say that Stacker is also a huge case, even though if its only a few inches shorter, it is quite deeps in 2. The Silverstones, especially the TJ07 and TJ09 are very beautifully built cases.. I wish Silverstone make another case like the TJ07, compartment based.

Love the UV effect and lighting :thumb:

chouchou

wow great job barb! great way to start my day.. before school :(
haha enjoy the rig, looks AWESOME. gotta build my first w/c build soon.. :p

miggs78

Sorry to repost.

Since I can't PM you babr, some database error with the website, and this is your thread. I'll post here.

I'm interested in your Fuzion block.. PM won't go through. Thanks :)

Babrbarossa

Very nice, clean, simple build Babr.. I guess you told us to watch out for new stuff, and we see it.. :)

But you gotta say that Stacker is also a huge case, even though if its only a few inches shorter, it is quite deeps in 2. The Silverstones, especially the TJ07 and TJ09 are very beautifully built cases.. I wish Silverstone make another case like the TJ07, compartment based.

Love the UV effect and lighting :thumb:

Have you seen the new raven? RAVEN
It's quite different, having the mobo turned 90 degrees- I'm not sure I'd like all the wires spitting out from the top rear of the case, but it wouyld be good for an under-desk placement. I'm also not a big fan of the stealth fighter styling, but it's nice to see soemthing different on the market.

FYI the D-Tek I have here is a V1

Latest posts