What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

WB causing GPU to bend

tragd

Any simple ways to prevent graphic card bending/warping due to heavy waterblock on it?

I have a 5850 and the right side is noticeably lower than the left (where it's being held, of course)

Cost-effect would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Zero82z

Banned
The ghetto way to do it is to get a piece of string or metal wire, find somewhere on the end of the card that you can tie one end to, and tie the other end to something at the top of the case.

tragd

martin_metal_88

Most of the card with heavy cooler tend to bend a bit over time. Remember the 4870 DK from Asus or 9800 GT ultimate still from asus. These The card was bending over time due to the weight of thecooler. But the card can andle it most of the time. I dunno how your are bended but I don'tthinks it's more than estetic. Maybe show us some pic?

JD

Staff member
Yeah, it's a full cover block.
Does adding a backplate: EK-FC5850 & EK-FC5870 RAM Backplate - Nickel EK-FC5850 RAM Backplate [FC5850x70 backplate Nickel] - $22.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store
something like that help at all?

I was hoping to not clutter up case with strings or whatnot.

If not possible, does the bend have much effect on the card over the long run? Other than aesthetics?
That won't help. I thought it might too on my HD5870, but nope. Mines been running "bent" for nearly 7 months now without problem.

This is what mine looks like:

JMCD

When I had my 8800s they definitely bent. My 5870 couldn't be straighter, but my case is a silverstone raven, so gravity isn't going to bend it. Perhaps it will over time though. I thought there was a way to use the stock backplate, which would help a bit.

kruzn4evr

I was concerned about this problem with the 4x 480's, I decided that by using the tubing at the top of the block and keeping it fairly snug helped, almost pulling the cards up. The other thing was I made sure the power cables did not put any downward pressure on the cards....so far so good, no bending :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0981b.JPG
    IMG_0981b.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,940

Dazmode

Two things help from my experience: 1)tightening screws very lightly, just to the point you start feel resistance 2) support backplates. You also make sure that power cables do not pull down.

JMCD

I was concerned about this problem with the 4x 480's, I decided that by using the tubing at the top of the block and keeping it fairly snug helped, almost pulling the cards up. The other thing was I made sure the power cables did not put any downward pressure on the cards....so far so good, no bending :thumb:
Stop posting pictures where I need to clean up my drool!

x2 on what Daz said. With the blocks I had on my 8800s you could tighten them down on the rightside (facing away from the DVI ports) and the cards would warp easily.