What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

WD 4TB SE drive running into massive latency

ZZLEE

Win 7 64 PRO ??
16 GB RAM 1600 ??

WIN 7 PRO is limited on the amount of Ram Windows will allow it to address.
16 GB of RAM is likely also a limiting factor.

More RAM and faster RAM

WIN 7 64 Ultimate or Server OS

( Not a wizz bang genius ) me

EDIT : 32 (4 GB ) 64 (192 GB ) maybe not that.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
40 VM's? Man, that's insane to be running on your desktop. I realize you don't use them all at once, but still!

You should build out a hyper-visor box instead and use Hyper-V or VMware ESXi :bleh:

At the very least, moving over to Windows 8.1 and using the built-in Hyper-V might be a better solution.

bissa

yeah, I pretty much cap out at 3-4 VMs running at once. I'm planning on putting an ESXI host together eventually, but for now my computer hosts it alright other than the IO issue.

For my desktop I'm waiting for Windows 10 to come out before I move off 7 to see which one I want to use.

So as to the original question, is there something in particular with the Se that could be causing this? It seems to have appeared when I migrated the machines from a WD 1TB Black.

AkG

Like Close Air Support....Solid State Drives coverth a multitude of sins. Probably another underlying issue that causing problems but when you throw gob smacking more IOPS at VM issues (SE is about 200IOPS...a SSD is 90,000IOPS)...big problems become 'huh, I guess I could get another second shaved off by fixing it" quirks. ;)

In either case he is going to have to actually fix what is fubar'ed as 3D NAND aint out yet - and thus TB solid state drives are still pricey! Good luck mate.

bissa

I just realized that I can just move all of the VM files except for the VHD onto a 256 or 512GB SSD. The VHD read/write doesn't seem to be too crippling and can go on high capacity spinning rust, and then I can offload the IOps onto the SSD that is better designed for high IOps but with low capacity.

Latest posts