What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

WD (and others) sneaking SMR drives into their NAS Drive Lineup

Bond007

Am I glad I couldn't afford to shuck drives at the moment. WD USB drives were Red drives or mostly White drives with similar performance. I was keen on buying some WD 8TB or 10TB from Bestbuy and shuck them for a new RAID 5.
I think you would have lucked out...I believe all wd 8tb are cmr. Though with all this craziness you never know.

Entz

Not a complete mea culpa, but it at least appears they've realised that they need to put the shovel aside and stop digging....

Unfortunately for them, the issue is more about having SMR tech in NAS drives, and not so much about identifying which ones are or aren't SMR.

Seagate got the messaging right on this one by clearly stating that they don't believe SMR belongs in HDD lines designed for NAS/Raid.

After all of this... who in their right mind would buy a full set of any capacity of RED drives regardless of what tech those particular drives use? I sure as hell wouldn't trust that I'd be able to get a CMR warranty replacement drive if my 8TB drive failed after a year or so.....
Yeah I certainly won't. Adding to an existing array or warranty or whatever is simply too risky.

The only way to fight the MBAs is to vote with your wallet (I did). Once they start seeing profit declines maybe they will stop being idiots.

What we really need is a company like QNAP or Synology to come out and say, "we will now be generating warnings or outright banning SMR drives to ensure that our customers data is intact". Freenas should black list the drives and not let them be added to a pool.

They are still banking on the fact that Joe NAS buying on amazon wont know any better.

Entz

I know this beating a dead horse, but STH has a nice follow up on this yesterday. If your running ZFS this is very bad news for rebuilds if you use a replacement SMR drive (willingly knowing or not).

1590789013795.png

Yes that right. The old 4TB CMR drives took 14 hrs to resilver. The SMR version took 9 days . That is beyond ridiculous.

Before this came to light how many people were using them and not realizing they were playing with fire and putting their data at risk due to this underhanded move by WD. If you have these drives as your spare and want to use them going forward it might be a good time to test your backup solution because there is a good chance your ****** if a drive goes down. God help you if your array is setup using 8 or 10TB drives and they do this again ...

edit: Resilver not sliver...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter