What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

weird cloud

bostonkikiki

Hi !
i've recently got a 10GB free online storage with Bitcasa (cloud?), that i can access from almost any of my devices, but there is something weird when i upload a "big" (~2GB) file to bitcasa :
I can see the standard transfer window appearing in Windows (the same as when you transfer something to your USB drive, with the green progression bar..) But when it's done, i can see Bitcasa is actually still working and upoading the file !
So... what's happening ? My guess would be the file copy itself to a sort of cache (?), and then, upload it to the network... ? I've seen in the Bitcasa settings i have 1 GB of cache... what does that means exactly ?
And for big files, should i increase or decrease that value ?
btw, i upgraded my laptop to 8GB of RAM, is there any way i can use the RAM as cache ?? (it never goes above 2GB of use...)

Thanks, i've tried to be a precise as possible...

tangrisser

Apparently Bitcasa 'emulates' being on a hard drive so the much of the data is actually only being cached to the designated location rather than being uploaded right away. The correct number to watch for is the upload bar within Bitcasa and not the Windows progress bar. Rather controversial topic.

bostonkikiki

@tangrisser what do you mean by controversial ? And so ok, there's something about the cache, so can i use part of my RAM memory as cache ?

JD

Staff member
That's just how all these services work, be it Dropbox, Box, Skydrive, etc.

It's stored on your local hard drive and then it's uploaded to "the cloud" in the background. This obviously is dependent upon how fast of an upload speed your Internet service provides.

There's nothing you can do on your computer to make it go any faster. The only thing you can do is upgrade your Internet service to something that provides you with a higher upload speed.

Latest posts