What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Weird mouse 'skipping' problem...

Talnoy

So, this one might be a little strange, but today I've noticed my mouse deciding to 'skip' or seemingly lose tracking which is incredibly frustrating, annoying, and makes me miss clicking on stuff. As someone who works from their PC this is getting infuriating, and I don't know what's causing it.

Firstly, I have a little bit of a strange setup situation which might play into what's going on here. Last week I had to RMA my slightly well loved GTX 980ti for a loose fan that was rattling. I've also got an original Asus ROG Swift G-Sync monitor. During the RMA process, I've stolen a 'loaner' card from my brother's computer - an RX470 4gb (plays most things on low at 1440p so I can deal for a couple weeks).

I've got it hooked up to the g-sync monitor, and it runs at 120hz well. I haven't noticed the mouse skipping until this morning, but I feel like I should have if it was there before. Could this be an issue caused by using a g-sync monitor with a Radeon/Unsupported card? I've tried multiple mice - Mionix, Razer, No-Name and all have the same problem. I've even tried different USB ports but the issue persists. Drivers, software, all of it. Nothing stops this weird issue.

Any ideas?

moocow

No experience with G-Sync and the likes but I would start with checking if the card is sitting correctly and see if there are any kind of shortage inside the case. The second thing I would check is to see if the front USB plugs are causing issues where a broken / shorted front USB panel may be causing issues.

zoob

Check your dpc latency. A while back the asus mobo monitoring software would make my dpc latency spike. Then later on my mouse actually died and would intermittently stop tracking mid swipe.

Talnoy

Check your dpc latency. A while back the asus mobo monitoring software would make my dpc latency spike. Then later on my mouse actually died and would intermittently stop tracking mid swipe.

How does one check dpc latency?

Also another strange thing - there isn't any mouse lag on the logon screen when I turn the PC on, only AFTER windows loads up. This is weird.

Lysrin

I would wonder about video drivers too. You said you tried them but switching from NVIDIA to AMD can cause issues if one or the other isn't completely cleaned up properly. There is an app called DDU I believe that could help make sure everything is cleaned up before you put the ones on for RX470. Worth a shot. I recently had mouse ghosting and issues on the Linux PC that in the end were desktop environment and driver related. In that case I had problems when running the monitor off DisplayPort but not VGA. Switching things up with desktop environment and drivers cleaned everything up on DisplayPort. Linux example, but you never know.

Talnoy

I would wonder about video drivers too. You said you tried them but switching from NVIDIA to AMD can cause issues if one or the other isn't completely cleaned up properly. There is an app called DDU I believe that could help make sure everything is cleaned up before you put the ones on for RX470. Worth a shot. I recently had mouse ghosting and issues on the Linux PC that in the end were desktop environment and driver related. In that case I had problems when running the monitor off DisplayPort but not VGA. Switching things up with desktop environment and drivers cleaned everything up on DisplayPort. Linux example, but you never know.

I actually used DDU to strip the NVIDIA driver off in the first place so the rx470 is running on a clean driver.....which is really weird also.

I think we'll have to wait for my 980ti to get back to see if its a driver issue with AMD cards. :dots:

Latest posts