What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Weird PSU Voltages...is this OK?

Oversized Rooster

I have noticed lately that my PSU is putting out weird voltage at -5V, +5V and +12V.

It's a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W PSU. I bought it new about a year ago and it's been running fine.

Here is what the PSU is running:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.8GHz 1.33V
Asus P5Q-E Mobo @ 1900FSB
2 x 2GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 @ 1144 2.18V
1 x WD 300GB VelociRaptor HD
3 x WD 500GB Caviar SE16 HD
2 x 512MB Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 Cards @ 700/2100
Auzentech Prelude X-Fi PCI Sound Card
20X LG DVD-RW
Floppy Drive
5 x 120mm case fans
1 x 200m case fan
4 x USB power-drawing devices

What worries me most is how the -5V is at -0.17V. And also by how much the +5V and +12V are off. The +5V is at 5.56V and the +12V at 12.46V.

Also, is the -5V supposed to be -0.17V? I think there is something horribly wrong here. Isn't the -5V supposed to be -5V?! I mean that's what it's called, ain't it? :lol:

So given my 11.2% +5V overvolt, 3.8% +12V overvolt and 96.6% -5V undervolt, should I RMA? Should I get a new PSU?

The picture below is when the PC is idling. When it's at load, the CPU Core voltage goes to 1.33V, but the weird -5V, +5V and +12V are still the same.

PSU%20Idle.JPG

burebista

Relax man. Ignore software readings and measure with a DMM if you want to be sure. But with a PC P&C (Seasonic OEM) I'll never be worried. :D

Oversized Rooster

Relax man. Ignore software readings and measure with a DMM if you want to be sure. But with a PC P&C (Seasonic OEM) I'll never be worried. :D

I don't have a DMM, nor do I know where to measure. Why is the -5V not actually -5V? Isn't that strange?

Aside from this I have never experienced any issues with the PSU or any component...it's all running solid.

DK2

Everest is likely just confused, since you don't have a DMM, try verifing
with other software info programs, like SiSoftware Sandra;
SiSoftware Zone

edit: or in BIOS if ya got'm

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Software voltage reporting is all over the board from one platform to the next (Only thing I use them for is to see what kind of drop I get from idle to load, and even that is questionable). I wouldn't be too concerned about what readings you're seeing in software, especially the -5V line... I don't think I've ever seen that reported properly.

DarKStar

Just ignore the completly the negative voltage, they are unused now anyways what you should concern with is the +3.3V, +5V and +12V, that's all. Stay within a +/- 5% tolerance. You cannot rely 100% on software readings. Take the readings directly from the power connectors, using a DVM - You will usually get a higher than 5V and 12V reading when done straight from the connector because the PSU is sending out higher to compensate for contact resistance - When measuring a PSU using a DVM take a reading when idle, and a reading when full load, that's a good way to test your PSU.

Latest posts