What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Weird screw

MARSTG

Hi guys!
I bought a local PC, mostly for the CPU and mobo, and it has some weird screws on one side. What kind of screw is that and do I find the screwdriver to take that off at Canadian Tire? It has like 3 indententions, I have't seen something similar so far.

Attachments

• 20150408_101455.jpg
    20150408_101455.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 230

Cptn Vortex

Some kind of security screw. I'd see if you could loosen it off with a flat head and a light tap with a hammer (hitting the screw on the side to knock it around loose) then just use pliers to get it off.

sswilson

Staff member
I'd try princess auto, but I just checked my own cheap set of security bits from there (mostly hex and star w/ a center pin) and it didn't include any like that. It could be however that they have a different set.

If you wanted to do the job properly (without the proper security bit) you'd drill out the center and then use an easy out.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
You could try using needlenose pliers in 2 of the indents and twisting to see if you can loosen it. Otherwise, vise grips should work.

MARSTG

From what I see on google seems to be a sort of security screw. This is a better image of what I seem to have.

Attachments

• security_screw.jpg
    security_screw.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 220

Unxetas

That is a variation of the spanner type security screw, apparently used by a knife and gun manufacturer called microtech.. You can find the bits online, but vise grips should work if that thing wasn't tightened by a gorilla :)

Bond007

I think your best bet is just finding a work around like the ones suggested (vice grips/ flat screwdriver and hammer/ needlenose....whichever works best). I haven't seen that style of security screw before.

Out of curiosity, what brand of computer/case is it?

MARSTG

it is called Ciara tech! Probably something put together locally for some companies that didn't have enough money to get some Dells. it was for sale at a local Microsoft refurbisher, for 55$ I got a C2D E8400 , Intel DQ45CB mobo, case and PSU and a Win7Pro sticker!

sswilson

Staff member
it is called Ciara tech! Probably something put together locally for some companies that didn't have enough money to get some Dells. it was for sale at a local Microsoft refurbisher, for 55$ I got a C2D E8400 , Intel DQ45CB mobo, case and PSU and a Win7Pro sticker!

Damn... the sticker alone is worth that.... ;)

Bond007

Well worth $55 then.

There are actually CIARATECH PCs on some desks in my office (along with some HP and Dell). It is newer though...I checked the back and it doesn't have that fastener (one side is thumb screws, and the top/bottom/other side are rivets).

Latest posts