What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Weird Video Error

ChuckleBrother

Fairly simple, when items go fullscreen, poof, my screen goes black and never recovers, no error dialogue, nothing, the machine just freezes absolute solid.

It's not always immediate but it always happens, without fail. I can reproduce this error 20 times a day if I was so inclined. Windowed mode and "fake fullscreen"(windowed mode no border) works just fine but true fullscreen breaks 100% of the time.

Running Windows 7, but I also found it to afflict me in Vista. So, is this hardware or could it be related to some DX issue that I'm having?

Items Affected:
XBMC
Any Single Steam game(Bad Company 2, Crysis, L4D/2, Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, GTA 4, Serious Sam tested so far).

Any help would be wonderful, I'm about to just tear this thing down and call it a day

TimTheEnchanter

Have you tried changing video drivers or changing a game resolution to a lower one with its "settings".ini file?

ChuckleBrother

5 iterations of drivers, and I've tried every single 16:9 resolution my tv can use.

bovine.baron

Getting the same problems but my Mass Effect games are retail, not Steam. :doh: I think ATI video cards have a personal vendetta against me, given my history with them... I'm trying to get a Powercolor 4890 1GB to work, by the way.

Edit: Don't mean to hijack the thread, just contributing my own symptoms. I tried underclocking the card as low as I could within CCC's Overdrive and it fails the Custom Clocks test every time. I've never OC'd a GPU before so I don't know much about troubleshooting them. If you guys have any other suggestions I'd like to try everything I can on my own before going for an RMA.

Edit: I'm almost certain now this is a driver issue.

Last edited:

bovine.baron

Well I found out it's a hardware problem after underclocking it as much as I could and bumping up PCI-E voltage. You might want to try that, ChuckleBro.

Latest posts