What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Western Digital Black 4TB HDD Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member

YukonTrooper

5 800GB platters? God damn. Western Digital says 5 platters increases longevity over 4 platters. Do they offer an explanation why? I always thought less platters = less moving parts = less problems. Are 1TB platters inherently less reliable than 800GB platters or something?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I am not 100% sure but, here's my take: the spatial data compression necessary for 1TB platters should (in theory) increase error rates which in effect puts additional stress on other components as they try to compensate.

pitz

5 platters is nothing; Seagate shipped 3.5" drives with 11 or 12 platters in the mid 1990s, 7200rpm, without issue, within the 1 million hour MTBF envelope. Mechanical failure was very uncommon (electrical failure, however.......).

Not sure how well the $350 sticker price will go over, especially with similar 3Tb drives from competitors appearing at the ~$100-$140 mark. Its not like WD implies any sort of superior quality or anything like that these days.

AkG

True and if Hitachi's Helium tech takes off (fill the internals with Helium not air, so less resistance and thus closer stacked platters) we could see a return of at least 7 platter designs before the end of next year.
Personally, I think that their 1TB platters were just not ready for prime time. ie the ripple effects from the flooding are still being felt. When WD feels the tech is mature enough...they will introduce it. ;)

Dzzope

Just trying to figure out how to tell between different models / gens of the WD Blacks.
Looking at getting a new 2 - 3 TB drive and I can't for the life of me tell which ones are which as they are all FAEX and apart from that the only info you get on them are that they are WD and their size.

Is there a 2 / 3 TB model that is the same as this drive?

Preferably I'd like the newest gen but yea.. any help apreciated.

Latest posts

Twitter