What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What am I doing wrong?

sbug206

This is my rig. I've expanded on a Swiftech H220x with an Alphacool ST30 360mm in push/pull and 140mm in pull.
The pump on the Swiftech isn't powered so it's just functioning as a 240mm rad with 2 fans in pull. This is a fractal
define 7 case. I previously didn't have the 140mm and I was using the solid top for the case but with the fans on the
Swiftech running. Essentially recirculating the hot air inside the case. I was concerned more about silence than performance.
I'm now using the vented top and exhausting out and the 140mm has been added to the loop between the GPU and the CPU.
The really bizarre thing is that it hasn't made any difference in temps under load!! I've got a water temperature sensor inserted
in the reservoir and water temperature measures at 35C. I've got 2 gpus. One watercooled Asus 3070 and one air cooled 3070.
Both mining 24/7. I was hoping inserting the 140mm between the gpu and cpu would help lower the water temp down and
improve cpu temps. I also hoped that using the vented top would allow the hot air inside the case to improve than previously
just the 140mm fan on it's own. But of course air flow is now restricted by the rad. So perhaps the 2 balance out. The pump
is locked in at 50% (2500rpm). I don't think it would make any difference as the pump is more than powerful enough.

What is wrong with my setup that the additional 140mm rad didn't make any difference?

PXL_20211203_205458877.jpg

Izerous

Folding Team
depending on the pump in the swiftech even off it might be killing the flow rate.
Bad thermal paste application?
too large of overclock on CPU?
GPU might just be dumping that much heat into the loop?
room really hot? Near a furnace register?

I think i could keep going for a while with speculation.

sbug206

I've run the pump at full and 50%. Makes no difference. Jayztwocents has shown pump speed doesn't make any difference. Everything eventually equalizes. Thermal paste on the cpu wouldn't affect the gpu or water temps. None of those changed either. I've used the EKWB calculator and I've got triple the amount of cooling capacity needed. I'm not overclocking. Even though I'm mining, ethereum runs best at minimum gpu clock. Room temp is 23C. I've actually got the heat shut off. The rig is heating my condo!

Last edited:

clshades

The best water cooling setup I've had the water went through all the rads before hitting anything that needed cooling. So I would go through 2x 360 rads in push/pull. Then the cpu, motherboard, vid card. In that order. I don't believe in the rad > cpu > rad > video card > rad > cpu.

This is how heat pumps, air conditioning, heating systems all work on large scale. It only makes sense to do the same with water cooling.

The 140 rear rad is being cooled by the internal temp of the case, not ideal. You want all the rads to be pushing air into the rads from the room and nothing from the case.

I always just use that upper rear slot for a fan out and everything else IN. The top rad should be pulling room air and not venting.

Last edited:

sbug206

Loop order doesn't matter. Regardless whether I'm exhausting/venting, the "conditions" are the same. The simple matter is that adding another rad should have made a difference but it didn't. Drawing warm air from inside the case should still be better than no rad from before.

Last edited:

clshades

Loop order doesn't matter. Regardless whether I'm exhausting/venting, the "conditions" are the same. The simple matter is that adding another rad should have made a difference but it didn't. Drawing warm air from inside the case should still be better than no rad from before.

Ok man. Do whatever ya like. As a plumber I can tell you it matters. Also. Fresh air from outside air does work better. Every. Single. Time. I've tested this myself, in multiple configurations.

rjbarker

The best water cooling setup I've had the water went through all the rads before hitting anything that needed cooling. So I would go through 2x 360 rads in push/pull. Then the cpu, motherboard, vid card. In that order. I don't believe in the rad > cpu > rad > video card > rad > cpu.

This is how heat pumps, air conditioning, heating systems all work on large scale. It only makes sense to do the same with water cooling.

The 140 rear rad is being cooled by the internal temp of the case, not ideal. You want all the rads to be pushing air into the rads from the room and nothing from the case.

I always just use that upper rear slot for a fan out
and everything else IN. The top rad should be pulling room air and not venting.

This absolutely !!!! Always run my multiple rad loop with fresh air running thru rads...there heat exchangers....never run internal case warm air thru a heat exchanger (rad) defeats the purpose of the radiator.
I also use the top back 140mm as exhaust (no Rad).

Like Shades I have tried so mnay different configs over several years and this is the most optimal set-up...whether running single RTX 30xx series Card or Tri SLi GTX series....

sbug206

Also Jay's entire test was done out of a case... so it's completely fucking pointless.
Wrong. You have no idea about scientific testing. If all the variables remain the same and you're only changing one thing it's still a valid test regardless of the test environment. It doesn't matter if it's in or out of a case. All that affects is the absolute temperature. The whole point is that the loop order doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Twitter