What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What are good speeds?

w0z

Hello,

I just setup a home server. Running WHS 2011. I was just wondering what good write speeds are?

I am running the Server on a cat6 directly connected to the router and i am transferring files from my laptop at about 8MB/s is this suitable or should i expected better. I am a nub at this stuff

Thanks
w0z

Coach

That depends if your laptop supports Gigabit LAN. My hunch is that it does not.

w0z

The server is connected to Linksys WRT-160N which is 100mbps not a gigabit. Could that be the reason why i am getting such slow transfer speeds. Is it worth it to upgrade the router to a gigabit or should i just get a gigabit switch and just use the router for wireless?

Keywork

With fast ethernet, you can't acheive speeds higher than 12 MBps (100 Mbit). If you have some money, then a gigabit switch would be a welcome upgrade!

Edit: Also, keep in mind that your speeds may be limited by your storage, not your network (but at 8 MB/s I highly doubt it's your storage :haha:)

w0z

yeah it take me 6 mins to transfer a 2GB file... i was think i would get around 45mbps. I just not sure if i should buy a gigabit switch or router

and even which one to buy. Any suggestions

Latest posts

Twitter