What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What are people's plans for NVIDIA 1080/70?

What are you planning to do regarding NVIDIA 1080/70?

• Buy as soon as available, reference or founders edition

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Wait for aftermarket card options and buy one of those

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Wait to see what is coming from AMD

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Not interested in NVIDIA cards

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Not interested in a new video card, NVIDIA or AMD, at all right now

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters

Dzzope

Do you supposed NVIDIA did this on purpose though under pressure from the aftermarket companies? Perhaps the aftermarkets didn't like NVIDIA selling reference models cheaper in the past? But it was an even start for all the companies before wasn't it because they all had the reference version to sell first, NVIDIA didn't sell direct.

They still don't sell direct.

What they do is set the specification that the board partners HAVE to use. And probably some restriction on how many to make of the founders edition.

What they are doing is allowing the board partners to come up with their own "reference" edition.. like the few options for blower designs we have seen on some of the cheapest nvidia cards of late (think palit and msi had blower design and old style boxy plastic shroud)

But with using vapor chambers and such it should actually give a good option on a blower design.. Though it is too much of a premium without RGB lighting and such.

Xilikon

No option in the poll to buy a 970/980 now. I bought a Gigabyte GTX 970 at a bargain price at NCIX since I only game at 1080P and my GTX 760 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Lysrin

No option in the poll to buy a 970/980 now. I bought a Gigabyte GTX 970 at a bargain price at NCIX since I only game at 1080P and my GTX 760 is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Yup, that was an oversight in my original poll options. My bad.

frontier204

I plan to stick to my old GeForce 660Ti until it either craps out or it is placed into the "legacy" category.

Games with the level of detail you get from Crysis (1) on medium settings at 1080P is fine for me. Yes I notice higher detail settings, but for me they don't add much to the experience. For instance, my favourite game visuals in the past ~3 years was Xenoblade Chronicles X - a WiiU game - because of a great aesthetic. I don't care one bit about seeing the nose hairs of characters or other fine details like that.

Lysrin

Nothing wrong with that response I would say! And you are certainly getting your investment out of that card. I have a friend who is also still running a 660 Ti at 1080p and he is happy for the games he plays the most. Reality is these new cards are a tonne of money to invest so if your rig is doing what you want now, why go there?

sswilson

Staff member
I suspect the GTX 680 purchase @ $500(ish) will be my last flagship card. It's awfully hard to justify anything north of that.

I'll be waiting to see what the 1070 brings to the table, but also looking out for the 1060ti and AMD offerings.

Ernimus Prime

I want to replace my HD7950 with something. The GTX 1070 looks great. But I will wait for AMD's Polaris lineup before I decide what to get. I hope the R9 4xx top card can compete with at least the GTX 1070.

Xilikon

Yup, that was an oversight in my original poll options. My bad.

No problem... Because the newest 10xx cars will surely sell for a lot of $$ (expect 550-600$ for a 1070 and 909$ I saw at NCIX for 1080), the 9xx series is a good bargain for those who doesn't care for 4K gaming.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Just a note of correction here: With the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, NVIDIA will be selling direct to customers which does indeed place them in direct competition with their partners.

Latest posts