What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what are some good online education institutes for tech certs / diploma's, etc?

moocow

No idea. I think a lot of these colleges are only as good as the instructor and the course format. I believe since you're going after industry brand based certificates, they are just going to teach you as exactly as laid out in the teaching material provided by whichever brand in question. I would ask each of the schools you're interested the following:
  • Is the remote course taught using conferencing? IE you still need to show up for class virtually.
  • What kind of help do you have access to? Access to instructor? Online forum where the instructor / TA are active?
  • Any quizzes and midterms you have to write to prep you for the certificate exams?
  • Any discounts to the certificate exams?
If they are just giving you a slide deck from the vendor and tell you to read the book, then I don't believe it's any better than just buying a book off Amazon and do self study. For example, I could of just pay $1500 to attend the Agile vendor program over a weekend. But I went with BCIT instead and it took months. It was taught in class, 3 hours a week, and we had to do projects, quizzes, and exams. There are additional reading materials and videos to review that the instructor curated.

moocow

I can relate. When I attend online courses at BCIT, they weren't virtual classrooms. It's basically assigned reading, answer assigned questions online, and post completed homework in the drop box. Even worst were the group assignments that was done online.

clshades

most colleges offer online course. I'd choose a local college or university over some random college that brags for nothing. And if you really want to get serious go into AI.

Last edited:

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
most colleges offer online course. I'd choose a local college or university over some random college that brags for nothing. And if you really want to get serious go into AI.
that's a good suggestion. the local college doesn't have anything applicable though...it's more industry skill oriented. however, I will see what the Terrace and PG facilities offer for online education.

Latest posts