What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what are some good wired keyboards and mice for office work?

Mr. Friendly

I'm giving up on my Logitech MK850 wireless combo. it's got so many issues and support just keeps telling me to do the same thing over and over and over.

so I'm being forced to go back to solid / stable wired models.

full size keyboard, numpad is essential and I'd like media controls if possible. I'd like to go back to mechanical keys, one's that force me to press to ensure the keystroke registers. noise doesn't bother me, but I've never used a mechanical keyboard since moving here, so could become an issue for family upstairs if it's all they hear all day long.

mouse, I don't game, but I want high enough resolution I'm not moving in the extreme to navigate my desktop. I love the way Logitech mice like their MX and M720 Triathlon meld into my hand, so that kind of style is preferred. it doesn't need to be heavy, but I don't really want it light as a feather either. something like what the M720 is with batteries is about right.

I'm not sure I want to give Logitech my business this time around. two defective MX518 last year, out of box...two defective Brio 4K webcam's in the last 3 years and now the MK850 being so screwy and unreliable.

budget? $150ish for both but may be willing to go higher.

sswilson

Staff member
I've been really happy with both a K70 and a (no num pad) K65 mini with Cherry reds. Solid frame and comfortable to type on.

Izerous

Folding Team
Our office is being repaired so I cleared out my personally belonging since it is going to be random service people moving stuff about to do the repairs so I actually have the work mouse/keyboard with me.

For use in the office I just wanted something reliable and quiet as to not bother the others near me. And I do prefer reds and being able to type without bottoming them out.

They keyboard I had picked up was a Gigabyte XK700 RGB (red switches), I just keeps the lights off in the office. Was a memory express daily deal for like $50 and the mouse also happens to be a Gigabyte product as well. It is a M8000X. Neither of them as especially special but both were pretty good deals as I'm pretty sure the mouse was in the $40 range at the time.

Keyboard doesn't have dedicate media keys but it does have the function keys. For at home I more recently bought the ROG Strix Scope RX and I thought I'd miss the dedicated media keys but the limited use I find the function media keys just fine. I refused to give up on the num pad though as well I do enough number work that I find it useful to still have and a TKL + separate dedicated numpad started to seem silly

Mr. Friendly

I may have an in on getting a discount on a Cherry keyboard.

I have no experience with them and only know about them because of a big presence in point of sale keyboards.

FreeKnight

I've been really happy with both a K70 and a (no num pad) K65 mini with Cherry reds. Solid frame and comfortable to type on.
I liked both my K70 and K95, with reds. I've switched to the Kinesis gaming with browns and I like the browns and the adjustability, but I'm definitely noticing the loss of the numberpad being an irritant when working in Excel. It's not a big loss, but whenever I drop the Kinesis I'll go back to something with a numberpad

Izerous

Folding Team
My specific complaint with the k95 is quality controls of the LEDs. First one had like 12 dead leds before they would accept the claim blaming me for using custom lighting. Had to record a video cycling through the light modes showing I was selecting the all lights on version.

The warranty replacement about 2 years later had all of 3 working lights.

Keyboard that expensive should should not be that unreliable.

Last edited:

Entz

I had a Das Model S Pro at work (back in the before times) and loved it. K70 at home. Browns are where it is at.

There are some cheap alternatives. Picked up a Rosewill K-9000V2 BR for a family member like $79 at the time , real cherry MX browns. It exceeded my expectations. You don't need to break the bank.

Mice I use a trackball for work so that prob doesn't count :p

Izerous

Folding Team
Mice I use a trackball for work so that prob doesn't count :p
An artist stole my track ball I had hidden away with using with the servers. Lack of space made the track ball amazing.

Latest posts

Twitter