What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What are the advantages of a Mac over a PC?

Canker

Actually, I would say the lack of viruses for OS X is because of Apple's aggressive release schedule for OS X.

It's pretty hard to target a specific version of OS X when there is a new version coming out every 2 years or so. Not too much new software will run on OS X Tiger, and it was only released in August 2005.

The only reason there is lack of viruses for OSX is because virus developers want to hit as many computers as possible and windows dominates the world. The more OSX gets out there the more viruses you will see. Thinking any OS is immune to viruses is idiotic.

Eldonko

Yeah right, MAC is just too smart :haha: It has nothing to do with less than 8% of OS being OSX and over 80% being Windows. If you were a hacker what OS would you develop a virus for?
Actually, I would say the lack of viruses for OS X is because of Apple's aggressive release schedule for OS X.

It's pretty hard to target a specific version of OS X when there is a new version coming out every 2 years or so. Not too much new software will run on OS X Tiger, and it was only released in August 2005.

m1dget

Yeah right, MAC is just too smart :haha: It has nothing to do with less than 8% of OS being OSX and over 80% being Windows. If you were a hacker what OS would you develop a virus for?

Ask the chinese and their fake anti-virus crap :ph34r:

Neolithium_Wpg

Totally wrong.
It's not totally wrong - and this is coming from someone who's becoming a Mac Junkie quickly. Viruses are coded for PC's because there is a massive target "audience" (For lack of a better term). If OSX were to instantly switch to the majority market share tomorrow, you'd see a whole @$$load of viruses pop up for it. And I hate to say it, but Linux does also have viruses and security issues, however those that run servers (Which is the primary Linux Market - servers) know how to keep tabs on it before anything becomes a problem.

lowfat

Staff member
Wow, that's a great rebuttal...

It's no secret that Mac abandons computers and software at a dizzying rate. If MS did that people would be up in arms.
Dissying rate eh? OS 7/8/9 applications was supported in OS X through Classic Environment for over 5 years after they quit selling OS9. Then they quit supporting PowerPC in Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is a 64-bit OS, kind of hard to install a 64-bit OS on CPU's that are not.

It's not totally wrong - and this is coming from someone who's becoming a Mac Junkie quickly. Viruses are coded for PC's because there is a massive target "audience" (For lack of a better term). If OSX were to instantly switch to the majority market share tomorrow, you'd see a whole @$$load of viruses pop up for it. And I hate to say it, but Linux does also have viruses and security issues, however those that run servers (Which is the primary Linux Market - servers) know how to keep tabs on it before anything becomes a problem.

That is not what he said though.

I agree with him that Canker is wrong in that regard. It is entire to do w/ market share like you said.

MacJunky

Lowfat, the G5s were 64bit. But there is no point in keeping PPC support for a few *very* outdated computers that are outpaced by a reasonable CoreDuo machine.

Latest posts