What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what are the affordable options for a really BIG monitor?

Lysrin

That LG display @JD would have the same OLED burn in issue though would it? That is inherent in OLED tech? I'm not up on OLEDs...

Vittra

Ya, they aren't actually virtual displays, they are just software to pin the windows in corners, etc. Full screening any app will full screen across all virtual 'displays'. AFAIK they only way around this would be a display that can take in separate inputs. I think Linus did a video on such a display a while ago. It was crazy expensive tho.

Yes, it was pretty much the older version of this monitor:

This is something I've been thinking of for awhile, and actually reached out to lowfat a few months ago regarding to get input from his own TV setup that he mentioned in the thread. The CX brings 48", a new threshold for OLED, where 55" was previously the smallest attainable. I want to consolidate my AV and Comp setup into one, and replace the XB271HU with the LG CX 48", but I'm having trouble envisioning a setup that works for TV, Gaming, and productivity purposes. I think the only way to reasonably get away with it would be one of those "pull down" mounts on a wall, setup in such a way that it's high enough for TV use, and low enough for Gaming use. That doesn't necessarily solve the "productivity" problem that a TV has though. You'd also want a table on wheels with wireless peripherals so you can position yourself relative to the TV, based on what you are actually doing at the time.

With that Samsung monstrosity now released, and a 2560x1440 240hz IPS announced, I may actually consider a monitor to replace the TV instead, opposite of this threads intent :ROFLMAO:

That LG display @JD would have the same OLED burn in issue though would it? That is inherent in OLED tech? I'm not up on OLEDs...

It's inherent to OLED tech but LG has mitigated it pretty well in the recent models.. still, used as desktop you're asking for trouble over time.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Maybe also not affordable, but LG is launching their 48" OLED with G-SYNC for $1499 USD: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxpub-oled-4k-tv

Slightly more usable size for a desk I think than a 55".

In my mind though, your monitor generally lasts you quite a few years, so buying "cheap" usually doesn't really make sense. Get something you like and that will last you for 5+ years.
a monitor is like a bed...you spend so much time using it, don't buy cheap and suffer in the long run.

also, do all OLED displays suffer from burn-in?

Lysrin

I think based on Vittra's comment all OLEDs suffer from the burn in.

For me, the change I would really like is more vertical resolution than 1440p. I've often thought that maybe even 1600p might do it. And a bit more physical height just to make gaming, especially sims, that much more immersive. I'd like my up and down field of view to be captured a bit more completely by the monitor. Seems odd to say, having a nice 34" ultrawide like I have. Although it is the nicest monitor I have ever owned by far... it just isn't quite... perfect.

The saga continues... ;)

Vittra

I would prefer 16:10 2560x1600 over 2560x1440 16:9 as well. We will see if it's slow return to laptops (XPS 13) will have any bearing on monitors.. unlikely though, at least not in the short term.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I think based on Vittra's comment all OLEDs suffer from the burn in.

For me, the change I would really like is more vertical resolution than 1440p. I've often thought that maybe even 1600p might do it. And a bit more physical height just to make gaming, especially sims, that much more immersive. I'd like my up and down field of view to be captured a bit more completely by the monitor. Seems odd to say, having a nice 34" ultrawide like I have. Although it is the nicest monitor I have ever owned by far... it just isn't quite... perfect.

The saga continues... ;)
put three ultrawides side by side in portrait ;)

just make sure you do so with a model that has slim bezels on all four sides.

Vittra

...at a loss of overall PPI, increased response time, and being stuck at 60hz. In that regard I'd stay with 16:9 27" 2560x1440 "gaming" monitors as it's the lesser sacrifice by far.

Latest posts