What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what are the affordable options for a really BIG monitor?

sswilson

Staff member

Probably a good place to start. I really doubt there is such a thing as an "affordable" 50" monitor.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I'll read that. it sucks that everyone seems to cap out their monitors at 43" and 4K res. 21.5" @ 1080p is too sharp for me...I'd much rather have 1080p at 24". I realized having the four 27.5" displays on a 55" would likely be too pixelated. so a 48" 4K display is what I'm really after.

Izerous

Folding Team
Seen a lot of 4k TVs at 55" and under dip below $500 depending on sales and such, but not monitor specific.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
actually, I just checked the pixel density of my U3415w...it's 109 ppi. the U4320Q is 103 ppi, so I could work with four 21.5" 1080p displays.

but to mix things up...are there any 43" 4K options that are MVA (most are IPS, which is fine too) and using the newer LED technologies, support FreeSync / G-Sync and have the latest for HDR support, etc?

wonder where I should go to ask something like this... ;)

Lysrin

I'm intrigued by these options. But what distance would you have to sit away from the monitor, or what would the optimum distance be, to use something 43" or bigger broken into four screens for work, but then still good full screen for gaming? 🤔 Maybe mounted on the wall being a normal desk distance away? But that seems too far for split into 1080p screens.

Izerous

Folding Team
The center is the focal point of a lot fo games and having a 2x2 array of monitors trying to game on this will be unplesant. Shooters your crosshair will be dead center of where the bezels join for example. It makes a few things more than unplayable. If only playing on one of them then not really an issue. However I just remembered something I did years ago with my tripple monitor setup. I set them all to portrait mode, it makes the aspect normal again which avoids a lot of bugs in games like skyrim, borderlands etc but still benefited from the larger overall screen as it was essentially 3240 * 1920. Might be a better option than 2x2 1080p monitors.

However as mentioned before about TVs
43in Sharp $328

50in Polaroid $278

50in Sharp $378

Now those are not super high quaility TVs but even anything comparible for monitors at $94.50 each ($378 / 4) will be comparable.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Thanks Izerous. I wasn't referring to separate monitor. Bezel in the middle makes no sense to me either, for gaming at least.

I was referring more to the scenario I think Mr. Friendly is looking for. That is you have a 4K single screen, and you use screen splitting to split that into four 1080p sub-screens, for lack of a better term, within the single screen. But that split use would only be for work or non-gaming activities.

Then for gaming, you return it to a non-split 4K (or 1440p if compatible) screen. In that case you then need a distance that works for the four split screens, readability for example, but still works for the single screen gaming experience.

Hopefully that makes my question clearer?

Izerous

Folding Team
Oh in that style there are things in both Windows and MacOS where you can configure snapping to act as 4 monitors so when you maximize something it will take a corner instead of the whole monitor. Havn't played with most of them out there but the software is there. My 4k monitors are only 28in so it is a size where I appreciate the sharpness and quality considering how much time i spend with text (source code and such).

Typically in the office Ihave the scaling up a bit to 125-150% though as due to the size & depth of my desk the monitors are set back a bit further and the small fonts cause me to strain, but scaling them up a bit gets around that.

lowfat

Staff member
Oh in that style there are things in both Windows and MacOS where you can configure snapping to act as 4 monitors so when you maximize something it will take a corner instead of the whole monitor. Havn't played with most of them out there but the software is there. My 4k monitors are only 28in so it is a size where I appreciate the sharpness and quality considering how much time i spend with text (source code and such).

I've only used DisplayFusion. But the virtual displays don't work great. Full screening an app will full screen over the entire display. AFAIK this is a Windows limitation.

Latest posts