What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what are your favorite winter comfort foods?

Mr. Friendly

soups? stews? toddies? other?

please share!

I got a 10lb bag of beets the other day, so I'm gonna make lots of root veggie soups and stews. :D

Bond007

Sounds like you are after the warm/hot foods of winter.

One we picked up while in Australia was mulled wine. When done wrong it’s terrible, but when done right it is great to sip on a cold night.

a nice root veggie soup sounds both hearty and delicious!

Mr. Friendly

Sounds like you are after the warm/hot foods of winter.

One we picked up while in Australia was mulled wine. When done wrong it’s terrible, but when done right it is great to sip on a cold night.

a nice root veggie soup sounds both hearty and delicious!
well...warm / hot foods are what come to mind in the cooler seasons, but I'm curious to know what others grew up with. soups were a mainstay...and I'm a real fan of soup...except cream of tomato soup. blech!

that said, what's your mulled wine recipe? using Google-fu, I found this:

ZZLEE

We would go up to the cottage in the winter to shovel off the roof and have Habbitont pea soup and hot coco made with milk and coco powder.

Herne

More soups, more stews, I actually eat dramatically differently in the winter. I often carry 20 more lbs.

Absolute best- scotch from a brandy/cognac cask. Harder to find, latest I have is Glenlivet Captain's reserve but my favourite was a Glenmorangie that at the end I was having in 1/4oz to try an keep it as they were all gone.

Lysrin

Sticky buns (we only get those homemade for our Christmas morning tradition), Mexican Hot Chocolate, and Wassail bowl.

Those are pretty much Christmas time stuff, but that's when the changes happen for me in winter. Otherwise we eat pretty similar to the rest of the year.

great_big_abyss

Pot Roast. It's a winter-only meal for us, preferring to BBQ during the warmer months. My wife will pick up a huge chunk of one of the cheaper cuts, then slowcook it all day with some root vegetables and broth. Yummy. It's one of my favorites.