What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what cost effective / simple to manage gear would you recommend for this scenario?

Mr. Friendly

I honestly have found my UBNT UniFi gear to be too much...got a friend who will buy what I have, but I need to replace it first.

if I understand what a VLAN is, I need 2 or 3...1 wired, for my work equipment and then either one or two wireless, for our personal devices and family living upstairs. I'm thinking they would like the thought of having one that is dedicated just for them, if its not complicated to setup.

we're moving end of August into a basement suite at my step-daughter / son-in-law's and they use the current tenant downstairs wifi.

if someone here thinks they can remote in and configure my UniFi gear, I'm game to consider it. currently I have:
1x USG
1x CloudKey
1x US-8-60w
1x UAP-AC-Lite

I can't even get my USG to connect to my ISP properly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, even after following the video tutorials that show you want to do. I have an idea that it's my dyslexia and dyscalculia that are screwing me up...all the numbers and . throw my vision for a serious loop. :(

if there is something that is more entry level prosumer and significantly more idiot proof to setup / maintain, I think I want to go that route.

thoughts?

JD

Staff member
Probably a little tricky to do remotely though if you say the Internet isn't even stable...

If you have the USG, US-8-60W and UAP-AC-Lite adopted to your CloudKey (Controller), have you tried clicking "Forget" on all of them so they reset back to defaults, then adopting them?

But as for other systems, any of the typical "mesh" WiFi setups should do what you want too. They generally all have a "guest" WiFi option but no splitting on the wired and primary WiFi network.

Mr. Friendly

well...I was sorta kinda hoping I could use tether my cell to my laptop and then have them remote in via teamviewer into the PC that's hardwired.

I have tried resetting several times, with no success. I'm just plain bummed / burned out from fighting with it. the tutorial made it seem a snap. it has not been, LoL!

djbrad

Well, you needs are simple. My old Asus rt-ac66u-b1 already got meshing, so any recent model could do it (buy two of them). Mine can do 2 guest wifi + your personal wifi (2.4g and 5g) and wired.

I don't think you would need to setup a vlan for that.

Maybe somebody can recommend you a current model or configure the stuff you already have.

lcdguy

Folding Team
in regards to the USG what is the specific issue with getting it connected to your ISP ?

I used one for years with cable and dsl/pppoe (depending on who had the best rate) internet and worked great. I do know that there is a default LAN subnet it likes to use (especially before being connected to a controller) and if you don't use the same it can be a pain to change it.

Setting up vlans is dead simple in unifi (especially if it's all unifi gear), basically you create a new network in the creation section there an option to set a vlan ID.

however if you make the work one a corporate network and not a guest network it will by default have access to all other corporate networks in the site. If you want to block that then you will need to create firewall rules and groups to block that access.

Izerous

Folding Team
Google wifi to setup wasn't much harder than install app, point camaera at QR code and follow wizard. Prompted me to create 2 wifis during the setup wizard essentially 1 home, 1 guest network which would be close to what your after from the wireless side of things. VLAN though I never looked into that. I'm either VPNed into a location or I'm not because it doesn't matter.

Skippman

Why do you need VLAN's at all? VLANs are really used to segment a large scale managed switch into multiple smaller, virtual switches. VLAN tagging can be used to ensure that the data path through multiple devices is treated as a discrete network. Usually this is done to ensure specific devices like VOIP phones, anything that uses IGMP multicast, and video cameras aren't addressable by other devices on the network.

It sounds like what you really need is two discrete WiFi networks. Many routers support dual WiFi networks, one for guests and one for home users. The guest network members won't be able to share data between themselves typically due to access control lists in the router.

If you don't mind not being able to share data between the guest devices then most conventional routers will do what you need. If you need those devices to communicate with each other, you will likely need two separate WiFi routers and something to act as a firewall/access control list to prevent devices on each network from being addressable to each other.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Your current gear is more than overkill for your requirements; taking a wash on selling great gear to buy lesser quality gear is...extreme, imo.

You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater I feel.

supaflyx3

well...I was sorta kinda hoping I could use tether my cell to my laptop and then have them remote in via teamviewer into the PC that's hardwired.

I have tried resetting several times, with no success. I'm just plain bummed / burned out from fighting with it. the tutorial made it seem a snap. it has not been, LoL!
Remoting isn't necessary. Everything can be done via the cloud controller. I'd offer a hand but vlans aren't my forte

Latest posts

Twitter