What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what DAC, AMP, Speakers & Headphones do you have?

Entz

Comfort is ultimately what made me give up using my old AKG Q701. Good sound but it felt like I was getting stabbed by the band. Have you tried any of the Hifiman stuff? The HE400S are absolutely amazing (to my ears anyways).

Caldezar

Comfort is ultimately what made me give up using my old AKG Q701. Good sound but it felt like I was getting stabbed by the band. Have you tried any of the Hifiman stuff? The HE400S are absolutely amazing (to my ears anyways).

I looked at the HE400S, but my understanding is that they were a fairly flat profile with no real punch in the low end. I'm searching for a more 'gaming friendly' sound, while still staying solid throughout the rest of the spectrum. Maybe I'm wrong about them? Or maybe I need to sacrifice sound stage and go for a closed back?

Mr. Friendly

take a look at Sony then. they have a lot of popular bass enhanced headphones available.

that, or get an EQ that allows you to modify the sound profile to your taste.

I found the HE-350's to be very neutral, while my HE-4xx's to be quiet bass friendly. :)

however, it does depend on what you're listening too. for instance, my STAX 2170's can play heavy bass dance/pop/rock and I got nothing. play something with cello, and the depth of sound makes you reverberate!

sound is so cool! :punk:

Caldezar

Part of the problem with buying expensive headphones is that sound is SO subjective. And it's hard to test each pair of headphones, as most places don't have them on demo. Even if they did, with a different amp/dac setup from what you use at home, it can be very difficult to determine what you're going to like in any given situation until you're there. I could abuse the hell out of Amazon's return policy, but I really don't want to do that. Although, the Monoliths are going back for sure. Lots of people seem to like them, but headphones should not be downright painful to wear.

Entz

Yeah, I think the 400s have more than enough bass and also prefer open over closed. Its one of those things where you would have to try them to see if its enough.

Edit: But as you say I am also not into massive head exploding bass either. All subjective.

Lpfan4ever

I need to up my mobile game now that I'm commuting by train again. The Xiaomi Hybrid IEMs I'm using are pretty nice for the super cheap price but they do lack a bit of low end clarity. I just wish Meelec would make the A161 again but with the A151 cables. Loved the sound signature of the A161 but the cables kept breaking at the relief on the earpiece.

At home it's just my Auzentech Forte with different opamps powering either my PC350's or modded HD555's.

Caldezar

But as you say I am also not into massive head exploding bass either. All subjective.

It's not that I'm a bass head or anything. But when I'm gaming, I want explosions to be visceral, and gunfire to have some punch. My gripe with the Sennheisers, and many other open back headphones, is that there is a lack of 'impact bass'. But so often, the headphones that are good for bass, are total crap at soundstage, vocals, and general sound clarity.

Gman109

I have a set of Sennheiser Game One's, a set of Senn Game Zero's, and 2 Astro A40s. I run Creative RGB soundcards in 3 pcs, but my primary one that I do my gaming on I have a DAC/AMP setup from Schitt, the "Schitt stack" of their entry level Modi/Magni Dac/Amp. It works great, I'll get around to upgrading our other gaming stations to it soon. I may try the JDS Labs Objective 2 as well, around $400 CDN landed, similar price but still entry level stuff.

I've just not gotten into the hi fi sound thing with PC gaming yet, as I'm satisfied with the sound card or Dac/Amp and decent-ish $300 range headsets. I realize there are better headphones out there and better quality dac/amps I could run, and use a Modmic or other stand alone microphone for gaming - I just don't feel the need to bother. I worked in the shooting/training business for over a decade, and my hearing is pretty compromised, negating any advantage real hifi might give.

fubar

Sorry to interrupt but I am wondering about DACs, speakers and to a lesser extent headphones... mostly as an upgrade in sound if/when I upgrade to a new build - I think the sound in a new build will be inferior for two reasons:
1) I currently use a discrete sound card - BUT, it's PCI-based slot - Audigy 2ZS - so, it's likely I won't be able to move it to a new system - I'm not basing my choice on whether it has a PCI slot - that's not wise, right?
2) the new builds - well, the majority have ALC887 or ALC892 onboard - so, unless, I went with the higher profile boards (AM4 X370 or Intel Z370), I think that sound chip(set) is inferior to my current setup?
I use Logitech 2.1 speakers and a Logitech Clearchat for my headphones (it's for language learning - primarily - so I'd consider a separate set of headphones with a new audio setup)

What I have isn't ideal so the choices are to buy a new sound card or look at DAC / pre-amp(?) options with speakers?

I looked at FiiO E10K - I know that is basic but would that do what I want? I want it for movie/video watching, basic sound but would like to use headphones on occasion, too.

Is this a better option than a new discrete sound card (PCI-e)?

I looked at the Schiit Modi 2 but seems impossible to find or unavailable - and I just don't know about this stuff, anyway. I wouldn't know what to look for or what's a good price. I wouldn't invest much, initially, just something basic to start with since I'll have to spend on the build already.

mGz

Schiit Mjolnir 2 + Gungnir MB

Headphones - Sennheiser HD 800S
Speakers - Audioengine A5+ (will be replacing these with KEF LS50's).

Latest posts

Twitter