What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What do you consider a 'stable' OC

danmitch1

So I got my new cooler saturday. I downloaded intel burn and ran it maximum memory and all threads for 1000 passes. It didnt crash and temps stayed below 80c but I had 1 WHEA error. Ill try a bit more volts and see if it completes without WHEA errors.

danmitch1

Alright, got my new cooler and started testing again.
Intel burn test with maximum available ram passed 12 hours with no WHEA errors
Realbench with max ram passed 2 hours no WHEA
Cinebench r20 on loop, passed roughly 2 hours no WHEA
Heavy gaming (AC odyssey 2k res max graphics setting) plays o so buttery for about an hour.
Prime95 with avx WILL NOT for the life of me get passed 6mins 40 seconds...
I spent the better part of the weekend trying hundreds of different OC combos and adjustments, every trick in the book trying to get it p95 stable.
I dont really want to set an AVX offset either..

So if I can ignore P95, I could try to get even more out of it.

Opinions?

Entz

I would set an AVX offset imo. Thats the reason it is there, Intel CPUs cannot run AVX at full rate.

I guess its one of those things, you are going fine till you hit an AVX heavy workload and you BSOD or lock up.

danmitch1

Does anything in real life really slam such a heavy AVX load on the cpu though? Its my understanding that cinebench R20 and realbench both apply some AVX into the mix and my temps did show it as intel burn test was a walk in the park, even after 12 hours.

Entz

No Idea honestly. Could a game suddenly start using AVX heavily *maybe*, or another app you decide to use.

Really one of those perfectly stable vs (air quotes) "stable" things.

Entz

Unless it explicitly says no. It is likely buried in some math library they are using.

Technically you can see it if you have an offset and your turbo suddenly goes down when running an app.

belgolas

Personally if I get even one crash I will turn down the OC. I want 100% stability. Nothing is more frustrating like playing CSGO while on discord with your friends and you crash.

I have been stable OC at 4.9ghz since I got my 8700k but I just had a crash last week after updating my bios and now I dialed my OC down to 4.8ghz. Seems 100% stable now.

danmitch1

Unless it explicitly says no. It is likely buried in some math library they are using.

Technically you can see it if you have an offset and your turbo suddenly goes down when running an app.
Good point, I'll have to try an AVX offset then. The more I read, the more I see that getting a p95 stable OC with 0 AVX offset is REALLY difficult .
Personally if I get even one crash I will turn down the OC. I want 100% stability. Nothing is more frustrating like playing CSGO while on discord with your friends and you crash.

I have been stable OC at 4.9ghz since I got my 8700k but I just had a crash last week after updating my bios and now I dialed my OC down to 4.8ghz. Seems 100% stable now.
But when you first overclocked, what did you use to consider it stable?

belgolas

But when you first overclocked, what did you use to consider it stable?
Just a few minutes of stress testing from a few different stress testing apps. I am a lazy overclocker. Then if I encounter a crash some time later I will dial my oc down a bit till I don't get any more crashes.

Latest posts