What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what do you store on your storage servers?

Mr. Friendly

now that most things are streamed, I'm curious what you hoard.

I know pr0n is the joke...but really, what do you store? aside from photo's and a few odds n ends like receipts and digitally filing documents, why would one need dozens or hundreds of TB?

nToxik

Besides photos and documents, I guess one could also store movies, music, videos, daily backups of your Windows PCs, run VMs (if more than a storage server), games.

Mr. Friendly

yes...okay, system backups, but most people stream movies / videos now...so I suspect that will be the exception now, not the rule as it would have been before.

on the side, what do you mean by running a VM on a storage server?

Entz

Yeah I still have my old movies on there, photos, all my 3d printing files, lots of VMs , all the CD images I have downloaded over the years. I keep very few personal files on my systems.

JD

Staff member
My QNAP stores a copy of all my Hyper-V VM's for my "lab", exported on a weekly basis.

I also have some iSCSI LUN's attached to my Windows VM's as a failover fileshare cluster - this hosts Work Folders (kinda like an on-prem OneDrive) so all my documents, photos, etc are accessible when I reinstall Windows or use another device. Not truly high availability since my QNAP is the sole holder of the data, but at least the 2 Hyper-V servers I have, one can be down without interruption :)

And then yes, I'm a hoarder, both in reality and digitally. I don't think my real life hoarding is THAT bad yet, but who's to judge ;) I used to delete things, but now I just keep everything I obtain through whatever means.

Then there's the silly anxiety when it's 50% full that triggers me to expand :LOL:

Black_Ice-Dragon

Im storing movies, Tv shows, backups, isos, vm backups, and photos. In the future once I get 10gb I'm gonna try and have all my steam games on there. . All run by Freenas in a VM.

Also want to try and get nextcloud up on my server to remove my need to to use one drive or google drive for anything unencrypted

gingerbee

well I don't have my unraid server built yet but I data horde everything I can movies/tv/music/ebooks/pics/documents anything and everything I can get my hands on.

Latest posts

Twitter