What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what do you think are the best 140mm fans?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I'm planning on building a custom case with space for five or six 140mm fans. it's gong to be built out of wood, so there's going to be good native sound dampening, but I still want quiet fans around 25dBA that can push as much air as possible for that sound level.

I have 120mm Artic Cooling fans that are supposed to be quiet, but I can hear them whooshing from across the room. :blarg:

D

Dark Knight

I'm more concerned with high airflow, but I will need high pressure as well, as I hope to use a 280 AiO for the system.

Three fans fit this category:

Noctua NF-A14
Noctua NF-P14S
Corsair ML140 (2 pack is ideal)

rjbarker

Three fans fit this category:

Noctua NF-A14
Noctua NF-P14S
Corsair ML140 (2 pack is ideal)

My case is all a mix of both Noctua and Corsair.....oh and 3 Silverstone (front intakes)....always High Static Pressure (low RPM as in Max 1200RPM) for Rads (Corsair were AP I think...been awhile ?)....cant believe how much the fans have gone up in price....Noctua were never the greatest looking fans (beige and brown color) ...but excellent fans!!!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
being my custom case won't have windows, there is no color scheme. that and I never really cared about stuff like that...I'm almost always function over form.

that said, the Corsair has 30% higher static pressure than the Noctua's listed, but at 37dBA, I'd have to see the performance delta of using those on a RAD vs the Noctua fans, as they hit the 25dBA right on. :)

D

Dark Knight

being my custom case won't have windows, there is no color scheme. that and I never really cared about stuff like that...I'm almost always function over form.

that said, the Corsair has 30% higher static pressure than the Noctua's listed, but at 37dBA, I'd have to see the performance delta of using those on a RAD vs the Noctua fans, as they hit the 25dBA right on. :)

Depends what RPM you run the ML at vs the NF-A14/P14S. If budget isn't a concern then the absolute best static pressure performance will be provided by the NF-A14 iPPC 2000/3000tpm Industrial versions (even when running at lower RPMs). The best performance metric is airflow or static pressure by RPM and that's how I got those fan choices besides other things to consider or to take into account.

Also to note that at similar RPM ranges the ML140 and the NF-A14/P14S non Industrial perform similarly (with minor deviations and differences) in static pressure and airflow performance at say 1500rpm.

D

Dark Knight

is there any data on how these industrial fans perform if you drop their RPM so they are quieter? especially in relationship to working on a radiator...push and push/pull setups?

NF-A14 iPPC3000 is 20.64db when run at 1500rpm whereas the NF-A14 is 24.6db when run at 1500rpm. The NF-A14 iPPC 2000 is 23.625db when run at 1500rpm. That's the math and data that I have. If you want the quietest fans when run at lower RPMs you want to get the NF-A14 iPPC3000 (only the PH-F140XP beats it at 19db at 1450rpm in acoustics).