What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What do you think thos build?

enaberif

if you plan to O.C. go with the quad.
if you DONT plan to O.C. go with the DUAL. (as long as the dual is greater than 2.4ghz)

Again no.

The overclocked duo will STILL be faster than a overclocked quad because of the cache of the duo and because nothing takes advantage of the quad; If you were finding negligible performance with your e8400 then something else was wrong.

You will get BETTER performance and stability out of the clocked higher duo than the quad and you may not even be able to get a good clock from the quad anyways.

tzetsin

no, my basic argument is that you will get "some" benefit, and "loose" nothing and its "only" 20 dollars more. and it gives you options if you ever need them.

have you ever heard the expression:

"if all you have is a hammer, all the solutions look like nails"

i say this because when you first get a quad, its new and your not used to it, but eventually you start using it to solve little problems (like making multitasking perform better) and then you start using it more and more and finally realize one day that your damn glad you had it (you realize this right around the same time your stuck with a dual core ;) )

Boldeagle

no, my basic argument is that you will get "some" benefit, and "loose" nothing and its "only" 20 dollars more. and it gives you options if you ever need them.

i say this because when you first get a quad, its new and your not used to it, but eventually you start using it to solve little problems (like making multitasking perform better) and then you start using it more and more and finally realize one day that your damn glad you had it (you realize this right around the same time your stuck with a dual core ;) )

You provide an excellent debate and with basis but I have to agree with enaberif that most "current games" just cannot utilise a quad and with the higher clock potential of the dual it is gonna show differences. Do some benching of the systems you have (Crysis) and have a look. Your comments are very interesting but we need some data to show it.

I didn't want to start a Flame War guys, let's be really clear about this.

enaberif

Except unless software takes advantage of that quad core your getting no benefit! And the only way to benefit from it is setting up affinity tasks which is a pain.

tzetsin

You provide an excellent debate and with basis but I have to agree with enaberif that most "current games" just cannot utilise a quad and with the higher clock potential of the dual it is gonna show differences. Do some benching of the systems you have (Crysis) and have a look. Your comments are very interesting but we need some data to show it.

I didn't want to start a Flame War guys, let's be really clear about this.

lol no worries man, enaberif and i have been at odds about this before. neither of us seem to be able to give the other the last word... ;)

but you ask for proof, Dwayne has already given it! check his link on the first page, it'll tell you all you need to prove that what i'm saying is without a doubt correct (about quad vs dual in gaming having no difference)

here is a quick link to the crysis bench:
CPU scaling in games with dual & quad core processors

i want to point out, that i did say there WAS a small difference "at lowest settings" anything up from there, no.

notice that even a STOCK Q6600 is on equal footing as the e8400, even beeing 600mhz slower. (looking at the 1280 x 1024 resolution) and this trend is true for almost every game that review tests.

Vista will do its best to utilize every cpu core you have, regardless of weather the program is designed to be multi threaded or not, if you have mp3 player, utorrent, web browser, web browser, web browser, ms word, msn messenger, yahoo, aim, icq, irc, blah blah, blah, blah, window open all at the same time (as most of us are wont to do these days) then vista will spread the load around even though none of those apps are multi threaded.

enaberif

I'm a firm believer in most people buy quads and never use them properly and will stand by that till I die.

matsta31

I got my E8400 and I really dont see needs for a quad. Good choices but for a 19 inch screen I'd go even with a 4850 single, no need for that much GPU power and this will make you save a lot of money.

tzetsin

I'm a firm believer in most people buy quads and never use them properly and will stand by that till I die.

sure, i cant argue that.

but that doestn mean that dual's are better than quads, or that quads have no use. and for an extra 20 bucks, at least they have it so if they ever figure out what it can do, they can do it.

Latest posts