What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what do you use for TIM?

Lysrin

I have MX-4, but I just realized that I bought that back when I built the 4790K, a little over 5 years ago no I would guess.

Does the stuff have a shelf life or best before after opening or does it stay fine as long as stored properly? It has been closed and in a zip lock bag since last used.

D

Dark Knight

I have MX-4, but I just realized that I bought that back when I built the 4790K, a little over 5 years ago no I would guess.

Does the stuff have a shelf life or best before after opening or does it stay fine as long as stored properly? It has been closed and in a zip lock bag since last used.

MX2/MX3/MX4 has a shelf life of about 8 years. It's one of few TIM on the market with this long of a shelf life.

Also Thermal Grizzly is good TIM but it's highly overpriced because of limited distribution channels in North America (unlike DE/EU).

Lysrin

MX2/MX3/MX4 has a shelf life of about 8 years. It's one of few TIM on the market with this long of a shelf life.

Also Thermal Grizzly is good TIM but it's highly overpriced because of limited distribution channels in North America (unlike DE/EU).

Thanks for that Dark Knight :thumb: I am gearing up to put a new system together and hadn't thought about ordering new stuff because I knew I had that on hand. Hadn't thought about longevity until this morning! :whistle:

D

Dark Knight

Thanks for that Dark Knight :thumb: I am gearing up to put a new system together and hadn't thought about ordering new stuff because I knew I had that on hand. Hadn't thought about longevity until this morning! :whistle:

Longevity is a big concern. For example the Dow Corning TIM material Intel supplied with their stock coolers had a short shelf life of about a few years. Compare that with the MX-X series which is 8 years as an example.

FreeKnight

I've generally used either Artic Silver 5, or Prolimatech's goo they sent with my megashadow. Both seemed to have been fine, spread reasonably nicely etc. But I've never really OC'd much and have never had the cooler on for more than a year without having put new paste on so I can't comment on how they dry out.

I'll probably look at doing a build with premium stuff like conductonaut if Intel ever puts out a chip that makes me want to upgrade my 4790k, but I just don't think it's worth the cost for an old build at the moment.

KaptCrunch

other then use T.I.M. what method use to apply ? pea blob or spread

Note: AS5 is conductive so no plaster and ooze out of sides of block/die specially on naked DIE

for I use smiley face, apply with twist and remove to check all covered

rjbarker

I just put a sh45t pile on ....hammer that Block down .......

Actually I do an "X" similar to the instructions on the EK Water Blocks......but remember JayZ ? He pout a ton on one...rediculous amount ...then barely enough on another and measured temps under load.....the one without enough was warm...the one with wayyyy too much had normal temps....after I saw that on Youtube .....not something to get to hung up on....pea...X...spread....drops.....when I first started building..I had a little piece of glass...so I put different sizes on my Chip...(back then was a Duo Core Wolfsdale (great OC'er) .....) and pressed the piece of glass on to see how it spread....
....I still get a kick out of "just a rice grain" on a 1364 ...2011...or 2066 Chip....zoiks!!!

Latest posts