What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what does the cl stand for in ram

gingerbee

I knew I was kinda close lol it's about timing here's a cool little write up about it

CAS Column Address Strobe I always forget this one

Shadowmeph

so then in real world normal average person it really doesn't matter that much , I wouldn't notice that much of a difference in just simple gaming and mild multitasking like web browser with tabs open ion the back ground.
I was thinking of just pulling the trigger on an AMD build ( 5600x some none wifi board )and Ram) but was wondering about ram and noticed the difference on prices which can be huge just for the cl ranges.

Izerous

Folding Team
With SDRAM/DDR1/DDR2 it was more critical because of the large range with ram that realistically capped out with low frequencies so timings were the only place you could realistically gain much. Now DDR3 or higher the timings have gotten so slow in comparison but the frequencies have jumped so drastically that a +2/+3 CL is almost irrelevant. DDR5 will have even higher frequencies but likely like the generations before much slower timings.

Solace

so then in real world normal average person it really doesn't matter that much , I wouldn't notice that much of a difference in just simple gaming and mild multitasking like web browser with tabs open ion the back ground.
I was thinking of just pulling the trigger on an AMD build ( 5600x some none wifi board )and Ram) but was wondering about ram and noticed the difference on prices which can be huge just for the cl ranges.
Depends on the application and operations being performed, the gains between 2666mhz cl18 ram and 3600mhz cl16 DDR4 ram can be upwards of 10% including games framerates. More specifically to MIN framerates which will help prevent stutters in some cases. For your average every day work load you will see zero difference browsing the web or doing whatever else. If you use your RAM a lot, like loading VM's, video editing etc... then the value is there to justify the extra 100$ or so. Else buy whatever.

I went from the 2666 to 3600mhz and the bump for myself in virtual box and gaming was noticeable on a 5900x. I also went from single rank ram to dual rank which the IMC on the 5900x benefits from and provided another small bump. To notice any real gains would likely have to be a jump like what was mentioned. Going from 3200mhz cl 16 to 3600mhz cl 16 or something like 3200mhz cl 18 to 3200mhz cl 16 would yield almost no benefit and only be noticeable in benchmarks.

Latest posts