What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what else to use besides VLC and MPC?

crazyea

not sure what's going on, but both MPC and VLC have started to misbehave and have the video lock up while the audio continues. I've tried all the setting suggestions to remedy this, as apparently it's not an uncommon thing, but they just made it worse.

what else is out there that you use or recommend?
How is your pc? Are you trying to play newer codecs with an older pc? For example h.265 hevc or 4K? Maybe the cpu is struggling?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
How is your pc? Are you trying to play newer codecs with an older pc? For example h.265 hevc or 4K? Maybe the cpu is struggling?

I guess you would call it older...5 years and running an i7-6700 with 16GB of RAM. it hasn't had issues running x265 1080p in the past, but I have run into some problems when I've tried to watch a few 4K previously, but it's rare.

Shadowmeph

I guess you would call it older...5 years and running an i7-6700 with 16GB of RAM. it hasn't had issues running x265 1080p in the past, but I have run into some problems when I've tried to watch a few 4K previously, but it's rare.
the only time I have ever had issues playing a video from a container was HVEC on my tablet stutter I never have had any issues on any of my PCs laptops or for that matter my raspi 4 running libreelec. I don't run 4k I don't even like running 1080p for TV shows because I can see all the creases and makeup on the faces of the actors its very distracting to me lol

Greyhair

Just to add .02 to the pile,
I have a simple policy.

I use VLC. No extra anything.
If the vid won't play, the vid gets dumped.

Although, on the media machine we also have KODI, I suppose,
but I might just get rid of it as no-one bothers to use it.

Point of story, chasing kodecs can be a pita.

Izerous

Folding Team
Just to add .02 to the pile,
I have a simple policy.

I use VLC. No extra anything.
If the vid won't play, the vid gets dumped.

Although, on the media machine we also have KODI, I suppose,
but I might just get rid of it as no-one bothers to use it.

Point of story, chasing kodecs can be a pita.
I give VLC a "little" help. If VLC + K-Lite doesn't fix it I dump it as well likely not worth my time after that. (Screenshot is ninite.com)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 3.02.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 3.02.20 PM.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 1

djbrad

Mr. Friendly, my HTPC is almost exactly as yours. 6700k, 16gb ram and a geforce 1030 passive.

It should play everything without lag.

A quick test to see if it's windows / driver / codec related is to boot a live ubuntu distro and open the same problematic files from there.

Even the intel igp should do the job.