What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what exactly is AI computing?

Entz

For things like camera Image processing I could see it being useful but outside of that I am drawing a blank other than its the new buzzword.

We are 2 steps away from AI enabled Pepsi I think.

moocow

I believe it's the ability for machine to make decisions, hence the intelligence part. That involve machine learning where you feed it things to recognize and rules to apply. Which end up being bias anyway because the data you feed it is bias to start with. See Amazon's resume parsing bot. You can also see the Lego sorting video or the water gun spraying a cat video. Both involve feeding images to the AI so it knows what it's looking at. Another usage I believe is for weapons to recognize targets by images / profiles (ships for example).

Chris

The simplest AI in use for the last decades is cruise control. It constantly monitors your car speed , and adjust the gas input to the motor to keep a constant set speed.

sswilson

Staff member
The simplest AI in use for the last decades is cruise control. It constantly monitors your car speed , and adjust the gas input to the motor to keep a constant set speed.
I'm not sure I'd qualify that as an AI. It's a relatively simple feedback loop without any learning/decisions being made.

JD

Staff member
I'm not sure I'd qualify that as an AI. It's a relatively simple feedback loop without any learning/decisions being made.
Depends, the "adaptive cruise" in newer cars is at least using the cameras/LIDAR/etc to monitor the vehicle in front of you and adjust the speed.

I'm not sure anything we have today is really "AI", or at least not what the general public knows about. It's just code that a human wrote which a machine is running. Sure, the code is a bit more adaptive, but it was still written by a human so it will always have certain barriers/limitations. Once a machine is able to change it's programming by itself, that to me is AI (though also pretty scary as portrayed in science fiction).

sswilson

Staff member
Whenever I think of AI in practice I think of those desert driving competitions where the AI is given a basic directive to get to a certain point but it's then up to it to decide how to get there and has the ability to "learn" things like how to stay between the "yellow lines".

Chris

The simple feedback loop is exactly what artificial intelligence is. It has all the elements of AI. It can learn, I.e., moniitor, has a set of rules, and can make decisions to corrective action. The cruise control is given a set of rules, in this case, the speed. The current speed, and deviation from the rule (set speed) is the monitoring process, and the decision is when to make a corrective action to the current speed.
In today’s apadtive system, the monitoring is done via the camera or sensor.
The feedback loop is not digital, hence not require any coding of processors.
the cruise control has the “intelligence” too control the speed, but it is not human, hence “artificial”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter