What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what GPU's don't need auxillary power?

Mr. Friendly

I'm thinking of getting the coming Lenovo M720e, but want to put in a dedicated GPU because it's limited to two displays via 1x DP and 1x VGA and I have 3x DP monitors. it's PS U is only 180w, so I need something as good as or hopefully better than the UHD 630.

the only card I can think of is the RX 550. GT 1030 is only two displays. what else is low power and can do 3 or 4 displays?

moocow

750Ti? I'm using that in a Hackintosh right now and it can power 3 display. I think GTX 950 can do 4. An odd ball alternative would be Matrox professional cards. I have one that can do 4 DVI and doesn't require additional power.

Mr. Friendly

you just made me think of Quadro's. everything but their high end need auxillary power.

out of curiousity moo, what HW are you using for your Hackintosh?

moocow

Right now my Hackintosh is 750Ti with Gigabyte Z77 itx board, i7-3770, and 8GB of RAM. The mini PCI-E wireless was replace with something Mac compatible but not an Apple card and no onboard Bluetooth. The latest OSX don't support nVidia anymore (Apple refused to certify the driver) so you will need to use some kind of AMD Radeon card. Check the TonyMacx website for parts. I don't recommend going itx anymore unless you are using onboard video or go wired network. I want to use the official Mac wifi card with Bluetooth + 3 monitor support. The next rig will probably be matx.

Mr. Friendly

well...I don't need a hackintosh at the moment. I have a Mac Mini from the previous generation and two really old Mac Pro towers from 2008. dual 4 core processors, 8GB RAM each and a 1TB HDD with 8800GT's. I'm going to throw in an SSD into both to give them a bit of a boost, but they will be limited by the SATA 150MB...but still better than a HDD. more like eMMC performance I guess, Lol!

I may try to hack the last version of OSX on to these as there are work arounds...not sure tho.

Mr. Friendly

Quadro p400, 4 mini display ports uses barely any power and can be had for less than $100
P400 is actually only 4 mDP ports...the P600 and 620 are four.

anyone know why the NVS cards are so bloody expensive compared to the P series? the NVS 510, which gives you 4 mDP is $500, while the P620 is $250...or the P1000, which is $450.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter