What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is dead Motherboard or PSU?

Kingh

I have an older pc system running a file server. I turned off the machine the other day and now it's not turning on :(. I tested the psu by shorting the 4th and 5th pin. The fan spinned up. I then plugged the 24 pin and 8 pin into the board and briefly during the 24 pin the lights on the MOBO turned on. But again it wont turn on and no lights.

Its a i7 2700k and Asus ROG MOBO. Corsair cx650watt psu. Do you think the MOBO is dead? If so would it be worthwhile to invest in this thing or get a NAS for a plex server? I right now have a raid harddrive setup in this thing. So if I was to move to a NAS it wouldn't delete any files correct? I have had some fun things happen in the past so I hope I don't lose anything. Let me know if you need any more details my IT guy is gone this week, and I have been doing this a hobby for years so I can mostly anything.

Thanks,

Kingh

gingerbee

I mean to me it's simple if you have a known working power supply in the house hook it up and see if she boots.

When it comes to Raid it's not something I have used in a while but I don't think you can move them to a different raid card/board and have it just boot up unless things have changed in the last couple of years, But there are people here who use it daily so they will speak up cause I am really not sure it's been too long fro me.

Shadowmeph

is your system connected to a monitor? if it was me I would download Linux put it onto a usb drive and see if I could boot from it

Izerous

Folding Team

gingerbee

that was my thinking too that the 5/3/12 volt rail has died or shorted out hence the turning on then once plugged into the pc shuts down (safety feature )

but without one of those, the only way to check is another supply.

Cannon Fodder

I mean to me it's simple if you have a known working power supply in the house hook it up and see if she boots.

Yeah, given the OP mentions this is a file server, I expect there's quite possibly at least one other known working PC on the premises, so although it's a pain-in-the-butt to unplug everything and swap in another PSU, that seems like the obvious next step.

gingerbee

Clshades every time I have had this happen the board would still boot but Bios would reset every time it was turned off.

Latest posts

Twitter