What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is ITE IT8721F, and why does it read as overheating?

Sovereign1986

Right, during the summer, rendering a 15-20 minute file of 1080p footage would be enough to shut my PC down, let alone 4k footage. Now during the winter it'll hold up, but something still reaches near boiling temperatures.
Turns out, some chip on my MB, called ITE IT8721F is reaching temperatures of up to 80-90 C. On the other hand, there's another temperature reading, reading at 34 C... What is this chip and what does it do? I can't find it on the internet.

Specs:

ASUS MSA99FX PRO R2.0
AMD FX-8350
GeForce GTX 660 (Yes, it actually roamed with dinosaurs)
16GB RAM
620W Cooler Master Power Supply
and some Cooler Master Fan on the CPU but I can't tell which one.

Yes, the GPU will be replaced within the next 2 weeks or so since I've recently bought a 4k monitor and I can't play ANYTHING anymore, not even in 1080p, without my GPU hitting 100 celcius... :haha:

I've added a screenshot from Open Hardware Monitor during a torture test to show you the weird temperatures. The big temp spike is right at the top.

I hope you guys can figure this one out because I'm at a loss :blarg:

My thanks,
a hardware noob.

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

seems it's a legacy chip that controls the serial port. so it's probably not being used and he problem is from a temp sensor connected to the chip being placed too close to the VRM, hence giving a false positive. it's not important at all, so you can go into the BIOS and disable the serial port and this issue should go away.

at least, that's what's shared in this thread:
how is ITE IT8721F too hot, IN MY RIG?

KaptCrunch

can be a bad sensor the chip is near VRM or PCI.E slots

if have infrared thermometer to verify

or add a heatsink to chip

Sovereign1986

I disabled it in BIOS but strangely enough the readings won't go away. I won't install a heatsink allthough thank you for telling me because I had no idea you could buy heatsinks seperately and mount them wherever you wish :haha:

Anyway, I have a new case with three built-in fans and three big air outlets with dust filters on them and with my new GPU (gtx 1070 ftw) temperatures never surpass 70 celcius during heavy workload. And in a couple of months of saving I'll buy a new Mboard, processor and memory - that should probably help. My new GPU is actually being bottlenecked a lot right now because of my old Mboard I think.

So thanks for the help guys! But this thread can be closed :)

Bond007

Big picture, what was the case and fan setup? If you have both an overheating component on the motherboard and a gpu hitting 100 degrees I suspect major airflow issues. Is the problem persisting in the new case?

Sovereign1986

The old case had no case fans so I always had it wide open, all panels off. It was standing on the ground, where the ambient air temp is cooler. I had (and still do) a fan+heatsink installed on the CPU but that's it. The 100c heat spike in the gpu only happend when I got my 4k monitor, the GPU simply wasn't up for it I guess. Since the new GPU, gaming in 2k or 4k never goes beyond 70c.

I haven't yet pushed it during video editing, which really always was when my pc would shut down because of overheating, but it was never the gpu in those instances.

sswilson

Staff member
Have you tried simply putting your finger onto exposed motherboard chips while it's running/under load? That's how I determined what chips on my AM1 board would benefit from some copper heatsinks.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter