What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is wrong with HCF? Member's and Staff Options Wanted

G

First off I would like to say 'ello again to all the old members and 'ello to those that are new to the forums.:canadianwave:

Lately there has been a lot of animosity between member's and member's and staff the idea behind this thread is to see what can be done to bring the state of the forums back to the well respected friendly atmosphere that sadly has been lost along the way.
Most of you by now know of the shitstorm finally came to a head the other day from some members feeling the need to take things into their own hands since they felt/feel that nothing is being done about the misinformation and useless posting that are happening. Should they have? That isn't the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this thread is to work out the issues that members AND staff have with how ppl are treated on HCF and certian posting habits.

Now for some information that everyone should know, the infraction system ( when you report a post a Mod reviews it and approves or denies the infraction ) has ( other than the BS/WTB Section ) been broken, infractions that should have resulted in points was in fact not issuing those points, that system is being repaired or by the time of this post been repaired, I encourage you all to use report button when necessary.

Another thing all should know is I have talked with Gav and he has agreed that For this thread Only posts will not be deleted or "censored" ( I use the term very loosely here ) does that mean you will be able to act like a douche? No, but he is willing to let somethings slide so that we can all work on getting back on track.
In other words: Speak freely and without worrying about the repercussions of what you feel you need to say.

Now to the meat of the thread, what do you as member's and staff think can be done to solve these problems?

Be realistic though Banning 1 or 2 members would be just a band-aid rather than a solution. Plus now that the infraction system is/will be fixed it should take care of things.

Lets try and find our way back to a community that was once held in the highest regard over how ppl were treated.

I could say a lot more but would rather hear your thoughts than me droning on and on.

Lets just try and keep this civil:thumb:

Skyllz

I dont know WTH is wrong with people these days...

I come to HWC on a daily basis to read all the news from FiXT, the new reviews coming up, the Buy/Sell sections. Someone ALWAYS has a good and intelligent reply to any of my questions, so basic it can be sometimes.

I dont know who complains about what but... yeah, I dont think they are complaning about much because as user that reads alot but dont post everyday, I say good job and keep it as-is.

EDIT: The only negative I could say... is I dont think you guys are anal enough about the Buy/Sell section regarding people who dont respect the rules. If someone cant spend 30 seconds to make a nice post according to those to sell something 100$+ here, it's off to a bad start when come transaction/shipping time I think. Regular or not.

Polygon

Here look at the posts between me and Sushi Warrior:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/off-topic/35189-thread-deletion-3.html

Otherwise I don't see how our forum is not friendly anymore. Seems like theres a few trouble makers but otherwise everything is normal, and the trouble makers can keep throwing hissy fits all they want or try attacking others and enjoy a nice swift ban hammer to the face.

encorp

I'm gonna wait for more replies, then I'll start tearing heads off :)

Lpfan4ever

My only problem is the couple of people who can't take the time to hold the shift key once in a while or push the various punctuation keys. This site is a place where we help each other and where others come for help. If the person has to spend 15 minutes (exaggerating) deciphering that person's post, then they'll probably look elsewhere. I know "omg bt its just teh internets y do i need 2 try", but come on, this isn't Facebook or MSN messenger.

Jackquelegs

I believe LULUMAD is a good descriptor of encorp once he gets PMSing :thumb:

EDIT: also more on topic. The events in the past few days and how it was handled was a good taste

FiXT

Hall of Fame
I believe LULUMAD is a good descriptor of encorp once he gets PMSing :thumb:

images

Nice to see you back btw SG :biggrin:

On topic: I view a forum as a giant conversation, what is allowed in every day regular life, should be allowed to transpire here. People have been getting uptight about useless posting or stuff that doesn't "advance" the topic - but when you are talking with friends, is every word out of your mouth useful? Likely not.

Most people regularly chime in with an "I agree" (aka "+1" in forum speak) or a "Ya that's pretty cool", or heaven forbid you actually make a comment that is based purely on opinion :shok: ! Imagine if the rules of speech some members expected to be imposed on the forums were applied to your everyday conversation? Every useless/ no on topic/ spammy comment you made in real life awarded you a penalty of some kind.... :blarg:

Last edited:

Lpfan4ever

Oh no, everybody's stealing my avatar and altering it! NNUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!11!one1!!!1!!

And I knew this thread was going this way once Jackie posted.

stoanee

Folding Team
Trying to be nice, even if you are a bitch, goes along way for me. Short sentences that say you are wrong without giving any facts or a story behind your statement just make me think you are a dick, even if you are right. The biggest plus for me in this forum is the civility that is mostly displayed. I would like to go for a beer with most of the people here (especially if they bought:whistle:) When people start pissing, moaning and taking petty shots at each other that is when the forum starts sliding into chaos. Maybe we are too nice and do not tell the troublemakers to be quiet soon enough.

Latest posts

Twitter