What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is wrong with HCF? Member's and Staff Options Wanted

G

Its easy telling folks how to do their job. Far harder to do the job, especially if it is volunteer.

From my experience, many of the problems around here stem from the following issues and behaviour:

1. Buy/sell transactions gone bad. When buy and sell issues happen, the whole community feels offended and causes witch-hunts. I know that these issue bother me in particular, even when I know I should mind my own business.
    • Solution: For the most part, I don't think the B/S forum could be managed any better and still be usable. Be smart with who you are selling to, and buying from.
  2. Lack of tact when responding to folks' opinions (ie. 'You are stupid', 'Morons like you', etc etc)
    • Solution: Just because someone is wrong it does not always mean that they need to be stepped on. If disputing another member's post, try to remember that the post is not a bunch of characters on your screen...a real human being is on the other end. If we remember that, many conflicts could be avoided.
  3. Posts which take considerable effort to begin to understand (due to abhorrent spelling and grammar, etc). One or two posts on occasion is no big deal, but if you are in a troubleshooting thread in particular, trying to read every post and what has been suggested, it can really wear on your nerves.
    Particularly troubling for some I would imagine, is that a potential strong member may pass on joining here if they have to sift through a tonne of crap every thread. A savvy forum surfer will quickly spot someone with 10K posts who makes no sense at all or makes no effort.
    • Solution: a continuous stream of useless posts needs to be dealt with by the mods. Members report the posts quietly, using the 'Report Post' button. If the community as a whole are constantly reporting posts which greatly reduce the quality of the forum, the mods will get sick of all the notifications when they log in and will do something about it. (either tell the offending poster to knock it off, or the person doing the frivolous reporting.) But constantly giving the poster or mods a hard time publicly hurts the forum as much as the useless posts. Keep it behind the scenes. If the offending poster does not stop, then yes, a banning may eventually be needed.
      If not dealt with, you will just attract more similar members, posting the same 'material'.
These issues we are having here can be primarily dealt with using simple people skills. Hounding members does not help, neither does calling mods out in public. Complex issues need to be dealt with behind the scenes...sometimes persistently.

Excellent post Sagath.:thumb:

Here are a few recent updates that will hopefully get everyone up to speed.

1) It was brought to my attention that the infraction system had no "bite". This was not intentional, more an implementation problem on my end. For a majority of the infractions, we could only issue a warning and NOT give point infractions. This has now been fixed.

2) The mods have tried to be tolerant of poor behavior in the hopes that people would smarten up when given warnings (some have, others have not). In the majority of cases it's going to be the infraction system banning people (based on the forum rules) and not based on the judgment of the moderator. We want to keep things as unbiased as possible. In cases where judgment is called for, the mods will discuss the situation amongst themselves and come up with a collective decision.

3) If the current rules are not sufficient to keep things civil and friendly here, they will be adjusted accordingly.

Overall, I think the atmosphere here is still very friendly and the vast majority of the users are great contributors to the forum, but there's always room for improvement and we are always open to suggestions constructive criticism.:biggrin:

-Gav
Wow a lot of comments, it's 3am for me here been out most of the night so I too will keep it short.

I believe a combination of the three highlighted text's together is the best solution. I have read every post and there are a lot of good argument's on both side's, and yes some just plain dumb, but I think we all need to be respectful as a community. and tolerant, and ask them think before they post.
And look at was you are posting. Is it extremly hard to understand my post? Is this as a member or staff how I should post? Do I know and have data to back up my post if I disagree with someone else?
Understanding, tolerance and if needed punishment are all need.
At the end of the day all I want is to read some good info, sometimes even if it is hard to understand hell some of it is good info, see if I can help anyone maybe, learn something new, have a laugh, enjoy myself.anyway I'm out

Must sleep now.

Remember respect and tolerance go a long way on all "sides"

Synth

Then enlighten me. If I'm out of the loop - bring me into it. Go on, explain yourself.

Encorp - don't feed them.

IMO, some people frequent this board lately just to engage in confrontation. They thrive on it.

So move on - getting yourself all fired up on the account of 16 year old kids isn't worth it.

--------------

As for my opinion on the status of the forum, I think mods have been very forgiving, and maybe a little lax.

Does it infuriate me? No. I trust their judgment. And I think other members should do to.

Have I been PM'ing mods to speed up resolution, or harassing members to give out justice? No, because I think the powers that be are investigating the situation(s) and trying to take the best possible approach. And again, I think other members should do the same too.

Finally, I think Gav is an extremely reasonable person - were this my business, the ban hammer would be in full swing, and these threads would not even exist. Goes to show you that the owners and moderators of this site are going the extra mile to preserve a community, not only a business.

EDIT: If you guys are venting about a forum at 3:00am, maybe you are a little too invested - just sayin' :whistle:

bojangles

Meh, I don't see what the big issue is. I just see a lack of entertaining and informative posts recently, partly because technology has sort of slowed down and nothing NEW has come out recently. Give some time for bulldozer and such and we'll be having some great talks about those, and some amazing computer build threads.

BrainEater

I've read this whole thread very carefully.Some good points of view.

----

First thing I'd say is that I agree with this 100% :

Finally, I think Gav is an extremely reasonable person - were this my business, the ban hammer would be in full swing, and these threads would not even exist. Goes to show you that the owners and moderators of this site are going the extra mile to preserve a community, not only a business.

I find it quite refreshing to see this thread where we can get this crap out in the light and deal with it.Nice work Gav , Supergrover.

---------

Listen , I understand it's every Canadians god given right to complain.I have no problem with that , but what happened to "Canadians are polite " ?

Seriously , the ad hominem attacks need to stop.So does the High school bullshit.

----

One of the things that concerns me , Is the elitist attitude I see sometimes.I have two friends that won't come here anymore because of it , and that isn't cool.We are all equal members of a community.No-one is better than anyone else.

As far as the whole spelling/grammer issue goes , If it bothers you that much don't read it.You don't even need the ignore button , just move on.I don't think it's fair (or necissary) for it to be the moderators problem , they are not here to be spell checkers.The onus is on the poster to do this - If I see terrible grammer etc , I just don't bother reading it.

-----

I agree with JakeHT . This is the best run/moderated forum I know of.There are a zillion other forums with faaar worse problems.

If we can all just take a step back , and show a little respect to each other , all these issues will go away on thier own.

:thumb:

bushwhacker

what he said is true. what has happened is unfortunate and although I have asked the mods to meet me in chat to work this out and to reinstate me they have refused. despite what they have said my behavior was not that bad Except for when I told them that they were power hungry. Yes I got a few unfair warnings such as going off topic in the sell section....but this could have been easily removed and me messaged about instead of the sterner actions that were taken. yes I challenged the mods and even made the exact same suggestions that my brother mentioned above. these are excellent suggestions that work at forums all over the net.....however the mods here at hwc are a lot sterner it appears....and for their own reasons I guess. The day that I snapped at them at was quite hit in. My apartment because if you remember my landlord would not allow a a/c unit in my apartment. An agreement was reached later on but then the damage was done. I do not handle well in the heat.

although they appear to not want to forgive and forget sadly. I ask again for reinstatement and hope that they CAN forgive and forget. I can forgive....but I will never forget.

Interesting that you had to 'push' beyond reasonable limits ..... and then become apologetic. Realize that sometimes taking things to the limit ... and beyond, has permanent repercussions. I would accept the mods stance in this situation and do what I could to get back on this forum. Obtain a new IP (or use a proxy), set up a new profile AND behave yourself! Good luck.

ChuckleBrother

I hardly post or even browse the forum anymore but what I noticed then that caused me to stop posting was the influx of post that simply were not educated or valuable.

Sagath pretty much hit the nail on the head for me back on page 1, the quality is my biggest concern and the largest reason I no longer visit terribly often.
1) Legitimate concerns over posting quality were brought up by some members.

There you go Arinoth, I hope you're happy.

Arinoth

Staff member
I hardly post or even browse the forum anymore but what I noticed then that caused me to stop posting was the influx of post that simply were not educated or valuable.

Sagath pretty much hit the nail on the head for me back on page 1, the quality is my biggest concern and the largest reason I no longer visit terribly often.

There you go Arinoth, I hope you're happy.

I am, since i wanted you to voice your opinion on here as i'm fairly certain quite a few of the older members miss you.

kruzn4evr

Well I too have this entire thread and while I too have certain thoughts regarding some members and there habits, attitudes etc. I choose to simply ignore those posts/threads. While I will say that dangtx's posts are somewhat on the useless side more often than not and he can't spell worth a shit, every now and again he makes me chuckle. Now encorp on the other hand, well, I think the mods keep him around because he is simply the best comic relief on HWC!...the man is a certified loonie...and??...LOVING it!..lol. He also made a very important point regarding the fact that some members do have certain impairments and may not be able to type/spell like others, I also found this out the hard way awhile back while dealing with a member in the BST section. Then we have enaberif, whom I've had a run in with in the past and I can say I don't particularly care for his people skills or lack there of, but I will be the first to admit that I have learned alot from reading many of his posts before I joined and as a new member. My point is, we have personalities from one end of the scale to the other and while some people may not be "my cup of tea" they do still contribute in their own way and shouldn't be penialized (did I just type penial?...that just seems wrong) or banned but rather accepted for who and what they are, if you don't like them?..don't read their posts!..simple!

When I joined HWC I did so to learn and enjoy my then new found hobby/passion for computers, not to judge people based on intelligence, proper grammar, financial status, personal beliefs or anything else for that matter. Like any forum HWC has its "cast of characters", each of which helps make this a unique place to visit. Could some things be done differently?...sure...but there is no way in hell to make everyone 100% happy, its just not going to happen. HWC is still one of THE best sites around and Gav and his team do a great job overall. Again, like any corporation, business, organization etc. there will always be bumps in the road and how they get handled will determine their future, I for one believe the future is in good hands.

To me, the funniest thing is, after looking at the "how many years old are you" thread and seeing that 75% who have voted (so far) are over 21 with a majority being over 25 and many of us well...."older" it amazes me how much childness that goes on sometimes, can't we all just get along and act like the adults we are supposed to be?

Ok, I'm done, in closing I just want to say two things, lets get back to treating people with some respect and courtesy and having some fun with the one thing we all have in common and joined HWC for, computers! Second, someone pass me a friggin' beer!!...I'm thirsty as hell!! :haha::thumb::bananafunky:

Cheers All

stoanee

Folding Team
I just want to say two things, lets get back to treating people with some respect and courtesy and having some fun with the one thing we all have in common and joined HWC for, computers! Second, someone pass me a friggin' beer!!...I'm thirsty as hell!! :haha::thumb::bananafunky:

Cheers All

Now there is an intelligent gent.....I could not have said it better myself...........take off eh...hosers! :bleh:

krazyups

I've read this thread in its entirety, and I do have to commend the community here for the way in which this topic has been handled. It was a big risk to let a thread go on un-moderated, but that shows me the level of trust and respect that Gav and his team have for the community. There will always be clashes of personalities, as I'm sure there are many people on this forum who would not really like me because I'm generally shy and tend to keep things to myself.

I have been lurking for quite a while now, and my extremely low post count is actually tied directly to my personality, to a degree. I read a thread and weigh my ability to contribute to the topic at hand, usually I go into a thread with the notion that I won't contribute simply because of 2 main reasons; 1, since I'm usually late to the thread, my view has been echoed by someone else already, and I don't want to thread crap with a whole bunch of "+1" or "^^ this" responses (not that there's anything wrong with that once and a while, but that's pretty much all my contributions would be). Secondly, I don't feel that I have the necessary experience under my belt to be able to provide a solid solution to a problem. I realize that there are people on this forum who know a hell of a lot more than I do, since my expertise and experience lies in another area.

EDIT: (realized the above really has nothing to do with the topic, so I'll try to tie it in) While not as bad on this site as others that I frequent, I do find that some people do have the "know it all" attitude, which bugs me more than spelling or grammar ever could. Not realizing that there are many people out there who most likely know more about the subject being discussed than you do is foolish, frankly. (Unless of course you are the pre-eminent authority on such a matter ..... then I stand corrected :whistle:)

I do try however, when I do respond, to construct my responses carefully as if I was speaking with the person face to face. Even though I'm behind a keyboard and monitor, I try to maintain that level of respect.

I also believe that bojangles summed it up best when he said that there's a lull in the tech industry, which leads tech based websites like this one to seem to stagnate, obviously making the members restless.

I think that this is and will remain a great place. :thumb::punk:Way To Fold

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter