What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is wrong with HCF? Member's and Staff Options Wanted

Jackquelegs

Oh by the way, when i first joined and people talked to me in very excellent grammar and punctuation kinda scared me. I was like oh no, I have to fix up my posts, i sound like a retard!

Call me a grammar/spelling police, but this is the thing that bugs me the most :haha:

_dangtx_

Banned
someone called? :)

but seriously, if one closes an eye on personal attacks and the such, all is good. thank god this forum is +- civilized, had a guy swear at me for a while on another board a while ago..ignoring works out for so long..:)

jcmaz

Call me a grammar/spelling police, but this is the thing that bugs me the most :haha:

I'm with you Jackie.

I hate it when people post messages like they are talking on Messenger. Also, some need to learn to use commas and periods. And please proofread your posts before clicking "Post Quick Reply".

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Please guys, stay on topic. Bad grammar isnt the issue here, well...it kind of is, in the sense of 'quality'. But still, its only part of the issue. :biggrin:

Polygon

When i first joined here and right now feel about the same. There were still fights and squabbles (<--- i always wanted to use that word), "trolls", and other unwanted things. In my opinion i find that HWC hasn't change much, old faces gone, new faces appear. This might just be me because I'm hardly involved in any of these discussions. Oh by the way, when i first joined and people talked to me in very excellent grammar and punctuation kinda scared me. I was like oh no, I have to fix up my posts, i sound like a retard!

hehe, I completely agree with this. This is just a "squabble" like we've seen before and people will come and go but I think (and hope) the HWC spirit and friendliness always stays. Of course though some people will argue "OH NOESSS ITS TEH END OF WORLD MOD DIDNT BAN HAMM3R DANGTX CAUSE HE DIDNT ADD A COMMA TO DIS SENTENSE"

2012-Doomsday1.jpg

too much? :ph34r:

mattlef

I think the biggest issue is not the quality of posts, but we all have at times made pointless and completely ridiculous posts/threads. Some reach epic proportions and are funny as hell. Others, usually made by certain users are just painful. I think there needs to be some serious thought into how some of these repeat posters are treated. We ( users and mods included,) as a community need to find way to somehow limit the consistent lack of quality in posts by said users. If it means banning then so be it. But there needs to be a moderated warning system where we the members have a say. If said post is reported X times, then the user receives a pre-determined punishment. If they proceed to create pointless posts/ threads further action needs to be taken for the said 'offender'. However, the end result of punishment should be moderated to protect users against unjust punishment. This should also be transparent.

As well, I believe that the BST section is a privilege, not a right. I don't care how long people have been members and never posted. I don't care if you are new and just want to sell your stuff, and i don't care if I could potentially benefit from your amazing prices. Its a privilege to use this section and it should be treated as such. I believe that the "points system" already in place is a great measuring stick for community involvement and should be used to help limit the people who want to sell and run. This would not only help protect members from the potential hit and run then disappear fraud but also reward the existing members who have spent a pre determined amount of valuable time enjoying and participating in the business that is HWC. Should a poster who thread caps or post pads be eligible to post? I don't believe so. As a privilege, it should be earned. And I feel that the points system is the best way to do that.

Other then those two, long winded ideas, i love it here. I spend quite a bit of time here and have since I became a member. I like others, go through phases where i just read, and phases where I'm heavily involved. I wouldn't do either if i didn't appreciate the people who make this place great, and the personalities that make us unique. I believe the mods have done a good job, and while there has been a changing of the guard.... they will still do their best to ensure that there is a informative, entertaining and 'obviously Canadian' place for us to discuss our lives, hobbies and so on.

Soultribunal

Staff member
i think you guys want it too clean around here. cuss, spit, swear, who gives a damn. say what you want on any subject, "misinformation" or not , who cares.

BUT, you cross the name calling line, that's where the mods come in.

OR, you say something like "you're wrong, you don't know what you're saying", again, wrong thing to say. you state your opinion on something, i state mine, and if you think i'm wrong, come back with some hard facts, data. prove me wrong without saying i'm wrong. and leave it at that. you're never going to convince an idiot he's wrong anyways.

it's pretty simple stuff.

this point thing or whatever is the dumbest thing i've seen. keep it simple and get better mods.

Better Mods to do what exactally?
I think you are missing some points when you say this.
What about moderation needs to be better?

ST

MacJunky

And please proofread your posts before clicking "Post Quick Reply".
I vote for complete removal of the "Post Quick Reply" function.
If your post is not worthy of doing it the old way(using the normal "editor") then it may well not be worth it at all.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
i think you guys want it too clean around here. cuss, spit, swear, who gives a damn. say what you want on any subject, "misinformation" or not , who cares.

BUT, you cross the name calling line, that's where the mods come in.

OR, you say something like "you're wrong, you don't know what you're saying", again, wrong thing to say. you state your opinion on something, i state mine, and if you think i'm wrong, come back with some hard facts, data. prove me wrong without saying i'm wrong. and leave it at that. you're never going to convince an idiot he's wrong anyways.

it's pretty simple stuff.

this point thing or whatever is the dumbest thing i've seen. keep it simple and get better mods.

You're being hypocritical, VERY hypocritical, in your own post. You call for people to back up their 'you're wrong' comments, saying to prove you wrong without saying it, etc etc, then blatantly say to get better mods without any facts/data/ideas?

Yeeeeeeeah. How about this. You're wrong.:ph34r:

But then again I guess
you're never going to convince an idiot he's wrong anyways.
Right?

:thumb:

FiXT

Hall of Fame
The mods aren't here to be your babysitters, to mediate between personal squabbles or to play jury on the defacto posting quality that members here seem to have implemented.

The idea behind moderation is to be a police of sorts. I don't see a need for them to be involved in anything that isn't clearly defined in the rules already unless someone toes the line where it begins to affect the entire community. Squabbles between individual groups should be sorted out privately, personal issues with other members are your own PERSONAL issues.

If you are not the type of person who appreciate small talk, short quick feedback or non technical conversation that's fine, but you shouldn't be expecting a mod to weigh the value of your opinion vs. the value of someone elses.

Maybe people were feeling ignored was because they were coming to the mods with the expectation that they would play the third party in private affairs. Such is not the case.

You don't call 911 when someone flips you off in traffic... if he gets out and takes a bat to your car, then it is warranted. They are there to enforce hard coded rules because they pose legitimate threats to society/community, not simply because people don't like how they act.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter