What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is wrong with HCF? Member's and Staff Options Wanted

mattlef

Well, you can hold contest/prize draws for members that have been here long enough/have enough posts to encourage other to join the site...

If memory serves correctly we did have that, but it was scrapped due to a shitty economy and lack of people signing up. Sometimes, free stuff isn't much of a real benefit to gain more participation, look at coupons. A lot of people could save a shit load of money, but people throw them out all the time.

[edit]
I think jcmaz was referring to the "better contribution level, better chances at winning" idea
[/edit]

I think that a consistently rewarding benefit, like access to post a thread in the BST section dictated by participation and valued loyalty is the best way to gain more users who feel as passionate about this website as we do.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
True enough, maybe not infractions/warnings but bans at least? Doesn't have to be all detailed in exactly what they did it could just be "BANNED FOR FLAMING". Might also be a good deterrent for others who see the "heads on the stakes". And yea, an internet forum ban is just LITTLE different than criminal charges

Isn't the fact that every post they have ever made has "Banned" under their username not enough? Does it really matter what for? The reasons for the last 2 individuals to have been banned have been outed in this thread, but that's the first time the reason has been mentioned on public threads to my knowledge.

And since when is a speeding ticket a criminal charge? But I won't mention that analogy again, as it seems to have offended someone. Again, what gives you the right to know what warnings or infractions I've given to someone? If we started publicly posting all the warnings that are handed out, I think there'd be a massive outcry about privacy, and a non-existent forum in short order. But I wouldn't care, as I'd have resigned the instant that policy went into place.

Perineum

Referring to this maybe?

HWC.jpg

Well.... I won something once a long time ago and I never got it :blarg:

JayDeeHobbit

I've been around here for a long time but I don't post much.
I think the mods do a decent job but it really is a terribly difficult job to manage in a consistent manner.

What FiXT said about "not babysitters" and "PERSONAL" is spot on IMO but it is also the mods job to have,and enforce, consistent guidelines so the posters know just what the boundaries are.

My observation has been that you have people here who seem a little "too invested" in the forums. It can happen when you make thousands of posts that you lose some perspective on the role the forums play.

Along the same lines some posters have little respect for the opinions of others and lack some diplomacy in the replies they make. This is nothing new on forums but the degree to which it is tolerated by the mods can confuse the posters sense of the "boundaries" I mention above. A zero tolerance policy is the easiest for posters to understand and for mods to enforce but can take the fun out of things for some. I have spent time on forums where we could discuss religion, politics, whatever without flames because a strict policy of "respect" was in place and no disrespect was tolerated. People soon learned the boundaries and it was a great place to have a discussion. (but, granted, it was a smaller forum)

Drama... In my time here I've seen quite a lot of it. I find such things quite humorous myself but permitting these threads to fester can give the wider forum population a skewed perspective on what acceptable forum behavior should be. It's difficult to stomp on people when they beat their chests and shout "I've been wronged !!!" but it is, perhaps, more painful for the community as a whole to let it drag out.

Now it might seem as if I've departed from my agreement with FiXT's comment on "babysitters" and "PERSONAL" but I guess what I'm saying is if there is that with a zero tolerance policy the posters will either learn the boundaries and adhere to them or they will depart in frustration and the result is a community that, for the most part, becomes self enforcing. Am I wrong to believe in Santa?

Mena

Sorry Mena, but "brother" Digikid REPEATEDLY harrassed the mods, not just on one occasion. That person isn't welcome here.
And neither is Markone, as that is one in a long line of duplicate accounts by the same person, who also had a habit of harassing and threatening moderators. We have a low tolerance for that sort of behaviour, and it warrants a quick ban. Note the point values for it in the code of conduct.

And we do use a warning system around here. You should know, I believe I gave you one once.

yes I got a warning from you...but that was my mistake and mine alone and I deserved it. He also told me about what he said to you guys....although a wee bit over the top I can see where he was coming from. he saved a record of his PM from the mods. it takes two you know. He respects the mods...although I must admit that he does not like Arinoth at all. LOL!!!! However despite his dislike he will still behave himself if let back in.

But what urks me is that he tried to correct his errors....and you guys would not let him. is there not a way for him to not return? it has been a while now you know.

as a matter of fact....I am going to let him type in a short message here and you guys can see what you think.

Digikid: Heys guys. looks like Mena has been busy here. Hope he has been behaving himself. why he named himself after my cat I will never know....

what he said is true. what has happened is unfortunate and although I have asked the mods to meet me in chat to work this out and to reinstate me they have refused. despite what they have said my behavior was not that bad Except for when I told them that they were power hungry. Yes I got a few unfair warnings such as going off topic in the sell section....but this could have been easily removed and me messaged about instead of the sterner actions that were taken. yes I challenged the mods and even made the exact same suggestions that my brother mentioned above. these are excellent suggestions that work at forums all over the net.....however the mods here at hwc are a lot sterner it appears....and for their own reasons I guess. The day that I snapped at them at was quite hit in. My apartment because if you remember my landlord would not allow a a/c unit in my apartment. An agreement was reached later on but then the damage was done. I do not handle well in the heat.

although they appear to not want to forgive and forget sadly. I ask again for reinstatement and hope that they CAN forgive and forget. I can forgive....but I will never forget.

Mena: Ok there you have it.....straight from Digikids...err.....fingers I guess. LOL!

Now I know my brother and he is quite outspoken and truthful and if he says that he will do what he says then he will try his hardest to do so.

the ball is in your court now. Are you going to throw it away or are you going to Pass it along.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Its easy telling folks how to do their job. Far harder to do the job, especially if it is volunteer.

From my experience, many of the problems around here stem from the following issues and behaviour:

1. Buy/sell transactions gone bad. When buy and sell issues happen, the whole community feels offended and causes witch-hunts. I know that these issue bother me in particular, even when I know I should mind my own business.
    • Solution: For the most part, I don't think the B/S forum could be managed any better and still be usable. Be smart with who you are selling to, and buying from.
  2. Lack of tact when responding to folks' opinions (ie. 'You are stupid', 'Morons like you', etc etc)
    • Solution: Just because someone is wrong it does not always mean that they need to be stepped on. If disputing another member's post, try to remember that the post is not a bunch of characters on your screen...a real human being is on the other end. If we remember that, many conflicts could be avoided.
  3. Posts which take considerable effort to begin to understand (due to abhorrent spelling and grammar, etc). One or two posts on occasion is no big deal, but if you are in a troubleshooting thread in particular, trying to read every post and what has been suggested, it can really wear on your nerves.
    Particularly troubling for some I would imagine, is that a potential strong member may pass on joining here if they have to sift through a tonne of crap every thread. A savvy forum surfer will quickly spot someone with 10K posts who makes no sense at all or makes no effort.
    • Solution: a continuous stream of useless posts needs to be dealt with by the mods. Members report the posts quietly, using the 'Report Post' button. If the community as a whole are constantly reporting posts which greatly reduce the quality of the forum, the mods will get sick of all the notifications when they log in and will do something about it. (either tell the offending poster to knock it off, or the person doing the frivolous reporting.) But constantly giving the poster or mods a hard time publicly hurts the forum as much as the useless posts. Keep it behind the scenes. If the offending poster does not stop, then yes, a banning may eventually be needed.
      If not dealt with, you will just attract more similar members, posting the same 'material'.
These issues we are having here can be primarily dealt with using simple people skills. Hounding members does not help, neither does calling mods out in public. Complex issues need to be dealt with behind the scenes...sometimes persistently.

A less common issue, but related here:

If you don't like how the staff are handling something, or of they have made a mistake, be polite, and try to give them some wiggle room to change their minds. If you still don't like the outcome, PM some other members who you believe feel the same and see if they will support your cause, or see if they will use IRC to discuss. You may get turned down by the first ten people you ask for help, but you may get the one person who can advocate your position to the right person in a manner you might not be able to. Rookie mods in particular might learn something, and even appreciate how discreet you were.

Last edited:

FiXT

Hall of Fame
Some cliffnote responses to stuff said.

Part of the current infraction system works off the shame aspect of deviant behavior prevention. When you receive 3 infraction points you become a "Restricted Poster".
While no, we are not going to blurt out "XXX was banned for XXX". Primarily because it just isn't feasible, the forum posters around you will be made aware when someone has crossed the line.

Contests... guys seriously? We have given away thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Every week (though not recently... gearing up for some big stuff) there is a contest going on. And no, they aren't a great incentive to new or old posters. Its pretty much the same lot of forum members in every one... :doh: There is opportunities through techwiki, through the newsletter. Compared to 90% of other tech websites, there is quite a bit of "incentive"

Last edited:

Sushi Warrior

I for one do not believe lack of DigiKid is what is wrong with HCF. He did what he did. Judging from what I saw it was a long time coming.

Back on topic, I for one would like to point out it isn't like the forums are going totally insane and out of control. There are just a few slight problems that need to be fixed to have HCF working the way it should :biggrin: It is not like it needs a total overhaul, just a few tweaks.

Just to piss Sagath off the forums are like a car running with a few problems and no AC, it gets you there but it doesn't do it as comfortably as it could.

Mena

I for one do not believe lack of DigiKid is what is wrong with HCF. He did what he did. Judging from what I saw it was a long time coming.

Yes I did get off topic there....and although I will say that you are incorrect I will digress and return the topic to the err........topic.

encorp

Well.

Lets lay it on the line; we will start with me: 100% of my posts are pretty much completely and utterly worthless... why? Because I read the whole website, and figure out all the things I need about computers on my own and therefore I never have any questions or concerns to post about.

So I just shoot the shit with the friends I've made here over the years. I definitely don't try and help the new guys and their own personal computer builds, cause sure, yeah I was there once too - but I wasn't half as dumb as most of those people either, and I could formulate a sentence and figure out a lot of it on my own. It's exceedingly frustrating helping morons with computers - it's the same damn reason I never got into IT. I come to HWC to talk to the people who know what they are talking about, not hold the dicks of the idiots who can't piss by themselves.

I see people on here post some seriously stupid stuff. I especially love the supposed enlightened ones who think they have something brilliant to say and it's just some ass backwards opinion and what they are saying was already said 2000 years ago by some caveman bastard who lived under a rock and who probably could have said it better with a cave drawing for god sakes. So I post and tell them they are retarded - and then I never read the thread again.. you can do a search through all my posts.. I'll say something vulgar and rude in order to state my personal opinion and then I walk away.

A lot of the time the mods correct, delete, edit my posts - and you know what? I don't complain, and any mod who has had to follow me around these forums after I came home loaded and sloppy from some trashy chick I slept with that night will tell you, I'm always polite to them when they censor me.

A lot of people are really stupid, it's just a fact of life - but they deserve to go off topic all they damn well want. Morons are out there, you gotta deal with them every day and they all come out on the internet in even fuller force, because you can't see them coming then - it's like in real life "oh here comes that Dan guy, he's a ******* idiot.. I'm walking the other way to avoid him cause he's a pain in the god damned ass."

You can't do that here - you're like half way through some post and you realize it's from some retard who types like he's got an array of dog dicks for fingers and he's slamming every key with his nerd raged lipstick shaped dog penis fist over some stupid topic.

The mods around here do a great job, they put up with a lot and they are all a wonderful bunch of guys. Frankly whenever I see a member fagrage I just want to laugh my ass off. I cannot believe some people.

"So and so has the same avatar as me and he also made a post that was off topic and didn't make sense and I couldn't understand what he was saying and it was useless and he was also every racist slang name under the book and I'm leaving these private forums if you guys don't concede to my wishes"

Guys, if that's the case - ignore the poster and or don't read their god damned posts. And if some how they trick you into reading their posts cause they changed their avatar and you were too stupid to read their damn profile name well it's your own fault.

I think by and large too many people spend way too much time being god damned pussies and the mods should just ban them. When a member of these forums becomes incontinent and whiny - stop worrying about how long they have been around, just get rid of them - including me if I'm already there, or if I hit that threshold anytime soon! I can give you a list of people you can cull right now.

Team Liquids forum rules say it best:

"You are our guests. We will make all attempts to treat everyone with due respect and to accommodate everyone's wishes as far as reasonably possible. But, this is a private site. We are not a "for profit" enterprise. We are not funded by any governments. This means we run the site the way we see fit. We are not obligated to observe anyone's notions of "free speech" or even "fairness." We try of course, and that's why we're consistently considered one of the best gaming sites on the web, and you are always free to give us suggestions (Website Feedback Forum). But, we have our limits. If we don't like you, we simply IP ban you. If we're really pissed off, then we IP ban you AND nuke every single post you've uploaded to the site - ever. It will be as if you had never existed here. This is our house. You've been warned."

TLDR: Ban and remove anyone, anywhere, anytime they even annoy people. It's not worth it, nor are you (HWC Staff) obligated to baby sit retards.

Latest posts

Twitter