What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is wrong with HCF? Member's and Staff Options Wanted

traitoR

I like turtles. :bananafunky:

J/K dudes, hey i thought this stuff was supposed to be fun and relaxing as well as a good way to share with others ? :ph34r: I'm almost scared to post anything around here.

FiXT

Hall of Fame
J/K dudes, hey i thought this stuff was supposed to be fun and relaxing as well as a good way to share with others ? :ph34r: I'm almost scared to post anything around here.

+1
Part of the reason I only ever post in the news section anymore and Off-Topic.

This is exactly why I advocate for regular conversation to carve its own path. In my opinion, the member advocated rules and expectations around here can incredibly elitist and very intimidating for new members; something I've been saying in private for ever.

Last edited:

Agafaba

Nothing really to add myself, but I dont find anything wrong here. You have your haters, your fanboys, your paranoid conspiracy posters and a few people who dont speak the english language well. It all seems like quite a variety where we can never all get along, but perfection is boring, and I dont come here to be bored. Variety is the spice of life, and it hurts the forum whenever anybody leaves short of those who only goal is to ruin the forums.

Hopefully we can find a balance, not where everyone gets along but where everyone can at least coexist.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I like turtles.
turtle-e90.gif

Fixed :bleh:

Zero82z

Banned
I will start off by saying that I haven't read the whole thread yet, so if any of the things I say have already been discussed, then, that's just too bad.

My concerns of the moment:

1. People should not have free reign to flood the forum with crappy and useless posts. Regarding the dangtx situation, the fact is that the moderators either missed the point or decided to ignore it. The problem is not with the quality of his posts, nor with the amount. The problem is the combination of the two. He makes a significant amount of posts, many (possibly even most) of which contain either no useful information or information that is either outright wrong or simply too general or basic to be helpful.

Making a few posts that don't contribute is fine. Everyone does it, and a community like this can't survive based only on keeping everything down to business. However, if you don't see anything wrong with dangtx's posting behaviour then you need to take another look at it. I don't believe he should be banned. In fact, I never suggested anything of the sort. I did however directly ask several moderators to contact him and ask him to make an attempt to improve the quality of his posts or reduce the quantity of useless posts that he makes. All of my requests were either denied or completely ignored, despite the fact that several other members made it clear that they have the same issue. The fact that none of the staff were willing to even take such a basic action to attempt to improve the state of affairs is simply unacceptable to me. The concerns of the forum members, even if it's only one member, should be looked into and addressed whenever reasonable. That's what the staff is here for.

2. I received a warning for no reason. The justification I was given is the following:
Yeah because post more comments towards dangtx on the forums, changing your profile picture to his and well i know at least one of you guys from irc created that impersonating account to mention a few
(PS: When performing official moderator duties, the staff should always use proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar. It's very unprofessional to send an official message with broken English.)

The three things mentioned in that quote are making comments addressed to dangtx, changing my profile picture to the same image used by another member, and the fact that someone who frequents the unofficial HWC IRC channel may have made another forum account. The first two items are not rules violations. The third one is based purely on speculation that I may have had something to do with it. However, since I did not have anything to do with it and there is no proof to the contrary, that is not a valid reason for giving a warning.

I contacted the moderator who gave me the warning, made the above points clear, and asked for the warning to be revoked, but my requests were refused. It is absolutely unacceptable for staff members to give out warnings or infractions without proper justification. Period. This doesn't just go for me, but for all members (including the other people who received the exact same warning, also without justification). I have still as of yet not received an apology or a retraction.

So to sum it up, I feel that the staff have not been giving members the respect they deserve, nor have they given member complaints the attention they deserve. The atmosphere of a community forum is very much affected by the attitudes of the staff members, and that needs to change if HWC is going to get any better.

They are there to enforce hard coded rules because they pose legitimate threats to society/community, not simply because people don't like how they act.
Sometimes the way people act poses a legitimate threat to the community, and that's something you and the moderators need to get into your heads.

Last edited:

traitoR

Fixed :bleh:

:haha:

I agree with you Fixt, It's weird because i've been into computers for 25 -30 years building and working with, but still feel intimidated by a lot of people here, perhaps because i can't afford all the very best hardware, don't have much in common with some of the elitist who seem to have endless amounts of disposable income, i just love computers always have, always will, even if all i have is an old jalopy.

Agafaba

Just like in your opinion though Zero about it not being one thing or another with dangtx but both, none of the individual things you did were wrong, but a combination does make it seem malicious. I came to the same conclusion the mods did the moment I saw you with the same avatar, before even reading any of your posts while using his avatar.

My opinion might be wrong, but its hardly a stretch to say it was unjustified. So while you may be owed an apology perhaps you too should apologize to dangtx, for doing something that may have seemed as an attack but wasnt. Unless the attack was intentional, but thats something completely different.

EDIT - sorry if the sentence is a bit broken, its been a long day. No point in fixing it till I get sleep though.

encorp

blah blah blah blah

While you may have a valid point about Dangtx. You and enaberif are by and large two of the first people who belong on the list of "I need to be friggin banned".

Sure, Dangtx is annoying, in that his posts are shear garbage - but I think he's a great guy and he cracks me up. Truthfully, you and Enab are closer to being nixed from HWC than Dangtx is. If only because all you do is complain like little girls. In order for the forums to improve here, Dangtx just need to take a spelling exam and slow down a bit when he types - you need to just shut up. The latter of which is not something I, or anyone else around here wants or should be expected to nurture you through.

The truth is, while Dangtx posts are hard to understand and some may feel that the content is useless or unneeded - he is truthfully trying to contribute. Where as on the other hand you are continually and completely divisive and are the actual problem here. If you didn't complain all the time, there wouldn't be an issue. Dangtx's posts would annoy some, but those people choose to move on. It's YOU that continually brings the issue up, and cries and whines for the mods to do something.

Truthfully, I think the mods would be happier just to never hear from you again, cause until you and the other peeps started crying - no one really cared what Dangtx said.

There, I said what everyone's been wanting to say lately.

Encorp is here to pump out sig material for me.

And my point with that picture was not "Boohoo I want contests every week on the dot". More of a why is it there if it's not the truth.

I'm here because I like everyone around here, but every mod here knows that if they came to me and said "Hey, either stop this or go" - they'd either see me change or I'd go and never return.

I'm also here to provide sig material for you, I'm hoping one day your siggy can be as long as the bible!

Last edited:

Polygon

"So and so has the same avatar as me and he also made a post that was off topic and didn't make sense and I couldn't understand what he was saying and it was useless and he was also every racist slang name under the book and I'm leaving these private forums if you guys don't concede to my wishes"

Guys, if that's the case - ignore the poster and or don't read their god damned posts. And if some how they trick you into reading their posts cause they changed their avatar and you were too stupid to read their damn profile name well it's your own fault.

I think by and large too many people spend way too much time being god damned pussies and the mods should just ban them. When a member of these forums becomes incontinent and whiny - stop worrying about how long they have been around, just get rid of them - including me if I'm already there, or if I hit that threshold anytime soon! I can give you a list of people you can cull right now.

Team Liquids forum rules say it best:

"You are our guests. We will make all attempts to treat everyone with due respect and to accommodate everyone's wishes as far as reasonably possible. But, this is a private site. We are not a "for profit" enterprise. We are not funded by any governments. This means we run the site the way we see fit. We are not obligated to observe anyone's notions of "free speech" or even "fairness." We try of course, and that's why we're consistently considered one of the best gaming sites on the web, and you are always free to give us suggestions (Website Feedback Forum). But, we have our limits. If we don't like you, we simply IP ban you. If we're really pissed off, then we IP ban you AND nuke every single post you've uploaded to the site - ever. It will be as if you had never existed here. This is our house. You've been warned."

TLDR: Ban and remove anyone, anywhere, anytime they even annoy people. It's not worth it, nor are you (HWC Staff) obligated to baby sit retards.

34514b5b4b8f83919.gif

This man speaks the truth.

If you don't like what someone is posting THEN DON'T READ IT.
Don't whine to the mods who are already busy and doing a great job.

If you don't like how the mods are doing business on this forum THEN LEAVE.
As far as I've been a member this is the way they do business, and they won't start judging the content of every single post to see if the spelling and grammar are adequate nor will they search up every tidbit of information in someones post to see if it's 100% true factual information.

If you think someone's wrong or that their opinion is whack then prove it to them. Don't go crying to the mods or start attacking people and make all this drama about it. There are people on this forum that I disagree with often or don't like their posts. Am I going to start openly complaining that their posts are distasteful and be disrespectful? No. Why? I'm not a ******* 5 year old. Apparently most of you guys are adults, so start f*cking acting like them.

Latest posts

Twitter